Author Topic: Limits on changes to the Forum  (Read 5585 times)

Eagleray

• Undercurent Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: Over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Limits on changes to the Forum
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:48:26 UTC »
Note that the basic code for this forum is a package we obtained -- Simple Machines Forum (SMF).  This package offers a number of features and integration options that seem to fit well with our needs.  And it is used in a large number of websites and enjoys a very good reputation.

But as with any such package, there are things we can do with it quite easily, others that take some work, and some that are just not practical to do at all.  We do not see any major problems here, and we know that SMF is actively being developed, with a major new version to be available probably later this year.

So keep this in mind when we answer any questions or suggestions that you have.  We don't expect you to know what's easy and what's virtually impossible, but recognize that there are realistic limits that have to be dealt with, and some things, no matter how good an idea, may just not be do-able at this time.
Please post forum support questions/problems in the Forum Feedback board

eponym

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Limits on changes to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:53:06 UTC »
Understood. Know that many of us understand and appreciate the time and expertise that are needed to maintain, configure, and customize these systems.

Okay, enough apple polishing, going back to blowing bubble rings . . .

-Bryan
The sea is a collector, quick to return a rapacious look.
Marianne Moore, A Grave

killam

• Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 16:37:54 UTC »
Has Undercurrent forums considered APIs to allow for for forum access on a mobile device? I am a used of Tapatalk [http://tapatalk.com/] for two separate forums of which I am active. Tapatalk on iOS is terrific and allows me to access these forums on the go rather than sitting down in front of a desk computer.

killam

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 13:02:13 UTC »
Thank you for reading my post. I do understand limits of a system. I am glad that my idea was discussed and maybe in the future we will enjoy this benefit.

killam

Tapatalk update
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:41:07 UTC »
I am not a representative of Tapatalk, just a user and fan.

Tapatalk is able to be used on Simple Machine Forums. It is also free to the user as of yesterday. I hope that when Undercurrent considers a revision to the forums that making it accessible by mobile would at the top of the list. thank you.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.