Author Topic: Any recommendations for sail/dive in Los Roques, Venezuela?  (Read 4212 times)

bnewman

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Any recommendations for sail/dive in Los Roques, Venezuela?
« on: September 20, 2009, 18:22:12 UTC »
Hello.  Has anyone got a recommendation for a sailboat/scuba charter for Los Roques in Venezuela (for a week or more)?  Prices look pretty good, but land accommodations are rather limited, and seems that the drill is to leave Los Roques every day to go to another key, so why not just stay off-island?  Any direct contacts with the boat owners, rather than through the various agencies?  Boats to avoid, boats to prefer?

We live in Rio de Janeiro, dive Caribbean, usually CuraƧao, but have dived on at least a dozen islands from western to eastern Caribbean.  Any advice on this under-covered destination much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce

Twodivers in NJ

Re: Any recommendations for sail/dive in Los Roques, Venezuela?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 15:45:00 UTC »
1) First, the other keys are a very short boat ride away.
2) Second, if you want to charter, you may wish to check with our friend Max in Caracas, as he may know someone. However, even though you charter, you may still have to return to Grande Roque to re-fill your tanks. I am unaware of any charters that specialize in diving. Max's email is: mconte@grinta.com.ve. Tell him you heard from David & Suzanne.
3) We liked Posada Movida as a hotel.

bnewman

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 19:52:46 UTC »
Thanks for your reply.  I  wrote Max asking for his guidance and mentioned your names.  There are at least a half a dozen sailboats based in Los Roques offering scuba, some with onboard compressors, at least according to their website information.  Basically, Los Roques (where the posadas-inns-are) seems to offer little other than a daily departure and a daily return, and we were looking at a stay-away and prompt splash at any hour of the day, for a week or more.  In that kind of a situation, a posada can get to be a drag, and a live-aboard starts to look nice (seems several offer boat + food + drink + scuba for at or under $200/day, which is attractive.

Cheers,
Bruce

Twodivers in NJ

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 20:25:21 UTC »
well, there ya go. Keep me in the loop, and the next time I go to LR, maybe I'll try a charter.

ssnead

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 02:53:47 UTC »
Peter Hughes ran a boat there about ten years ago. I wrote a chapbook entry in 1999 on a trip I took. Stellar Caribean diving - all the same fish, just BIGGER.

Saw one other boat in a week. charter was a tub, but crew and diving were terrific.

Sam

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.