Author Topic: light weight dive luggage  (Read 17976 times)

csbsn2002

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
light weight dive luggage
« on: September 16, 2009, 20:02:54 UTC »
Anyone know or suggest light weight luggage to carry all gear on trips?  Currently have Aqualung cases and they must weigh 10-15 lbs empty.  Going on small planes and need light weight bags. 

seafan

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
Re: light weight dive luggage
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 23:22:01 UTC »
I have been a dive traveler since 1989 and use a regular suitcase that weighs in at around 8-9 lbs.

I am currently looking at buying my 3rd suitcase and usually go on dive trips 2-3 times a year.

I like the fact that a suitcase doesn't scream DIVE GEAR to airport handlers, you can buy them at great prices at places like Ross, TJ Maxx, Walmart, etc.

If you go shopping for one, just bring a little hand scale and weigh before you buy.   :D
Life's a beach... then you dive!

shawrg

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 20:55:12 UTC »
You're asking about luggage to check in at the airport, correct? I've used an L.L. Bean rolling duffel for 15 years as my divebag luggage. I was always near 50 pounds with a full set of gear for one person. However, the airlines/postoffice lost that bag in September (fortunately it was empty but that's another story!) I intended to replace it with an identical L.L. Bean bag, but instead I bought a bag from Armor partly because the Bean weighed 9-10 pounds empty. I haven't received the Armor yet so I can't give you a user review, but it's listed as 6.2 pounds. I'll have a more informed opinion after I return from my next scuba trip in December.

shawrg

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 00:57:53 UTC »
I can now give a better opinion of the Armor bag after my first scuba trip with it. It holds a full set of gear including a pony but minus a regulator set and I'm able to stay under the 50 lb weight limit. The bag is light due in part to not having an extension handle. But that also introduces one of the major drawbacks. pullling the bag a long distance is awkward. Also, The bag doesn't stand up on it's end when loaded.

seafan

• Subscriber?: no
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 00:39:17 UTC »
Too bad you didn't post your interest in that bag before buying it.  I checked it over when it was shown at DEMA 2 years ago and wan't that impressed with it.  But then, I am not normally a fan of duffle type bags.

A friend of mine has the aqualung traveler (think that's what it's called) and it weighs under 7 lbs too but it is also a duffle and doesn't have inside tie down straps.... which I really think is needed.
Life's a beach... then you dive!

Winger57

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 20:39:44 UTC »
I have Akona's new light weight bag. I weights only about 9# and has a decent amount of room. Has multiple compression straps inside and out. Rolls nice, had problems with the zippers breaking but Akona repair them for free. Also I heard they change them because of it recuring on bags.

JMorben

• Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 20:10:34 UTC »
We purchased luggage made by Landor and Hawa.  The 20.5 inch carryon weighs 4.4 pounds.  It is the lightest luggage we have found in our research.

gaylyn

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:14:35 UTC »
Hi,
My hubby and I have the ebags Mother Lode eTech Junior 25" bags.  The great thing about them is you can put your BC, fins, snorkel, booties, flashlight in the bottom (I can also fit some my skins, 3lb soft weights, and some books).  You can then put clothes in the top - not a lot but enough for a live aboard.  We are just at the 50lb mark.  We also have the 21" mini for carryon (bought, because we loved the bigger bags) and they are great because you can put your regs on top and a laptop or clothes in the bottom and your book/paperwork are easily accessible via the top zipper pouch.  We have had the big bags for 6 years and they look great (about 2 dive trips a year plus other trips) and they don't tip over when they are over filled (not that we ever do that ;-).  I wish the bigger bag was a little lighter - about 10lbs - but I haven't found something with the double compartment, durable, wheels and does not scream DIVE bag.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-etech-junior-25-wheeled-duffel/54633?productid=622580
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-etech-mini-21-wheeled-duffel/68256?productid=837490

CindyEdge

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 02:06:25 UTC »
My husband and I have the Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler bags (9.4 lbs.)  Our old Travelpro suitcases weighed 17+ lbs. empty so that was a big improvement. The are very well made and have a great warranty.  I have to say that  they hold a lot (gear and all personal items and more) so if we fill ours, we're over 50 lbs. We solved that by packing our own pillows in the bags and now we enjoy our own pillows wherever we go - the pillows are lightweight, fill our bags, protect our gear, and are also useful after we arrive.

Cindy

ukdave0

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 19:55:57 UTC »
Check out the High Sierra - Elevate 34" Drop-Bottom roller duffel.  I got mine at ebags.com.  It weighs under 9 lbs and so far has held up very well through 2 trips to Indonesia.  It easily fits all my gear plus is long enough to accomodate my long Mare quattro power fins.

awuwi

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 13:09:03 UTC »
Go to fishermans wharf in San Francisco and purchase a cheap bag from a street vendor for $25.  My bag has some duck tape on it but is holding up a 5 years of trips! 

itchyfeet

• Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 17:06:10 UTC »
not Roll On but I think at only 2# 9 oz a good bet is REI's cargo weekender bag. Lots of room ,very tough, and has hide away backstraps. 25x13x12 inches. Listed at 80$ bucks but they are frequently having sales. And if anything goes wrong with the bag they replace for free. I have used this company for decades of backpacking and have always been impressed with quality and generous return policies. And no I do not work  for them.

jdiver

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 04:40:56 UTC »
I have to say my Stahlsac goes anywhere I do - durable, a genuine lifetime warranty (in PNG they dropped it on the tarmac and dragged it under the baggage cart, bending the axle and grinding down the pan and wheels, sent it to Stahl and got it back like new). I will have to say for the Galápagos, given the theft in UIO and GYE, I used an old U S Army duffel bag - dive gear in the center. It looked like so much stuff going out to the islands nobody messed with it. I secure most of these things with zip ties or tags that, when the bag is opened, break and show there has been tampering.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.