Author Topic: Flashes harmful to sealife?  (Read 3958 times)

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Flashes harmful to sealife?
« on: August 19, 2009, 16:10:55 UTC »
All, below I will give two specific examples I have been told in the last few years of diving (from two different resorts). The question is a larger and more philosophical one - does anybody know if flashes from a camera really damage sea life? I ask because of several reasons - I am a scientist and would like to be able to intelligently reference and quote data to illustrate this if its true. If its not, then I think we are doing ourselves a disservice as a community to propagate nonsense. I am an underwater photographer and believe I am extremely conscientious. I don't take shots I know will be bad, I don't risk damage to reefs if I can't get the shot safely. But here are the recent examples I have heard with a healthy dose of skepticism to promote conversation:

1) Pygmy seahorses are damaged and can die from from too much flash exposure - This is the statement from all staff at a high end dive resort in Sulawesi. We are told that because they have no eyelids the flash damages their eyes. Skepticism: I have eyelids but cannot blink faster than a flash. Any evidence to suggest that this is true? Otherwise it comes across as a somewhat coercive, badgering, uneducated viewpoint.

2) Mandarin fish are damaged by flash - you should only take pictures with a red filter - a different resort in Sulawesi. And then I was in Palau and saw them happily swimming in broad what's the truth?

Would love to see some science!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include French Polynesia Master Liveaboard!.