Author Topic: Roatan West End/West Bay - Need Dive Operator recommendations  (Read 3670 times)

davidssl

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
My husband and I will be visiting Roatan for the first time in October to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We will be there for 2 weeks and will be trying out the all-inclusive thing at CoCo View the 2nd week. We need help on deciding on a dive operator and accomodations for the first week. We are not resort people and typically avoid the AI's. For the first week we want to stay in either West End or West Bay so we can dive and tour and explore the local restaurants, etc. We are experienced divers and want to find a good dive operator that takes small groups. Depending on who we dive with, we will want accomodations near by. We've looked at reviews on Trip Advisor and Lost Paradise in West End and Las Rocas and West Bay Lodge in West Bay look intriguing. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Airhead52

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Roatan West End/West Bay - Need Dive Operator recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:55:22 UTC »
My wife and  I visited Roatan a couple of years ago around Easter and had an exceptional stay and dive trip with the Mayan Princess Hotel/resort.  This place is on the beach at West Bay, NOT to be confused with the West end section of Roatan.  Definitely the nicer of the two, West Bay offers a variety of beachfront quality restaurants, hotels, and private dwellings.  West End is crowded along a dirt road with mostly singles and budjet operations that would cater to a younger crowd.
   The on site dive operation that I would recommend even if you don't Check in to the Mayan Princes is called Mayan Divers, owned and operated by Liber and Anya, a sweet couple expatriated from Cuba for many years now.   They have a good boat, shop and also are quite competent for instruction, if you need it.    I think I posted a trip report on this somewhere, but couldn't find it while browsing through the forum prior to this reply.   Have a great trip!  Airhead 52
Most Baby Boomers Look Better In a Wetsuit!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.