Author Topic: Bonaire  (Read 5253 times)

jbell

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Bonaire
« on: August 08, 2009, 16:01:19 UTC »
I was in Bonaire in June.  Stayed and dived at Capt. Don's.  Resort was okay, as was the diving.  We stayed in a two bedroom unit behind the ocean front rooms.  The unit was a large, clean and satisfactory, the A/C was broken, but fixed the 2nd day and then worked great and was needed. 

Try the pizza at the resort's restaurant, the best food there. Also ate at Buddy Dive resort next door; food was about the same, not great and expensive for what you get.  There is a very good French restaurant about a mile from the resort which is excellent, the best food I had on the island.  Overall, the food is just okay and expensive.   

Capt. Don's dive shop and crew were very good and went out of their way, except one dive master, to help everyone on the dives.  There was a $110.00 extra charge for nitrox. The diving was not as great as I expected; sea life was limited and the reefs were still somewhat bare above 40.'  We did see three octopuses at the "1000 Steps" dive.  Did 6 dives at Klien Bonaire which were okay, not great, all were drift dives due to the current.  Lost my knife at "Lost Knife" reef.  Boat captain actually dove in to try to find it, but it was "lost."  Got a photo of a Web Burr fish, which the dive shop manager said had not been seen since the hurricane.   Did 6 off-site shore dives which were actually better dives than the ones at Klien Bonaire, but are a hassle because you lug all your gear both ways.  I had forgotten how easy boat dives were. Did two night shore dives just north of Capt. Don's pier (south of the pier is not very good diving as mostly just sand) which were uneventful except for sighting some squid and a white "snake" eel.  The dive around the inlet near town is not worth the time or effort.  The large ships keep the viz at about 10-15.'

We rented a extended cab truck for the shore dives.  The staff advised not to lock it, as there had been some people who will break the windows to get into the vehicle, and not to leave valuables in the truck. We had no problems; but a couple we met one night in town had some of their dive equipment stolen.

I may go back, but I am not sure.  I like St. Lucia, Roatan, Cozumel and Cayman Brac better for similar diving.   
J BELL

mtnplayva

• Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Bonaire
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 17:21:17 UTC »
Thanks for the trip report - I am leaving next week to go down there. How much was the truck rental and how many people do they hold. We have a group of 16 going down. What was the water temp?

Thanks!

butchfri

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 18:55:16 UTC »
Jbell, my reaction to Bonaire was similar to yours, although I got accused of being a troll in a different thread as a result.  Overall I wasn't real impressed by the diving and it isn't a place I'll be rushing back to anytime soon.  Some people love it.  Who can say?
For mtnplayva, the extended cab trucks are compact vehicles but none of the drives is especially long so I think you could comfortably fit four per truck.  Six would be a squeeze.  Much of the truck rental is part of a "dive and drive" package, which gets you the vehicle and your shore tanks for the week.  I'd have to look back at our travel documents but I think the drive and dive came to around $700 per week for the two of us.  Remember that there is a marine park fee and the exit fee to leave the island must be paid in cash.

s mermaid

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 21:04:22 UTC »
Water temp is about 82 now.

mtnplayva

• Total Dves: 101-500
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 21:21:44 UTC »
Sounds perfect - I was planning on bringing my 3 mil. We are staying at Cap't Don's but we didn't get the truck rental as part of our group plan so I was hoping we could do it once we get there. I'd like to explore some of the other dive sites. Thanks for the info!

butchfri

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 21:55:18 UTC »
Most truck rental is right at the airport - it'll be easy.

dfreeman

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 01:18:13 UTC »
There are a variety of places where trucks are rented.

Here are examples of Bonaire dive trucks in all of their glory.

Doug

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.