Author Topic: Regulator mouthpiece - need advice  (Read 8235 times)

divergal

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Regulator mouthpiece - need advice
« on: August 03, 2009, 18:29:55 UTC »
Howdy all,

I've just returned from a dive trip where I used several different rental regs, and they all had the same problem - the mouthpieces were too large.I'm a smallish female - ~ 5'1" and it seems most regs are just too large and I get jaw fatigue fairly quickly :(
Does anyone have advice for any regs that have inherently smaller mouthpieces or are there specialized mouthpieces that can be popped on and off that could fit any reg? I'm not going to buy a reg based solely on this criteria, but it would be nice to hear of anyones else's experiences. I've heard from some other diver friends that US Divers had a Micra reg that seems to fit the bill, but haven't heard anything else.

Divergal

divergal

Re: Regulator mouthpiece - need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 18:11:56 UTC »
Just as an addon- Anyone have experience with the Seacure moldable reg mouthpiece?

ldg7

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 23:24:17 UTC »
I've only had people put them on an Oceanic Zeta second stage and it changed the whole dynamics of the regulator.  It couldn't be tuned properly without taking the mouth piece off and replacing it with the original mouthpiece.  Haven't had any other experience with it.

DrDirector

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 20:40:45 UTC »
My wife and I both use SeaCure moldable mouthpieces and they help a lot with preventing jaw fatigue.  I had to cut mine quite short (as suggested by SeaCure) because I have a major gag reflex whenever anything gets near the back of my mouth.  Once I cut it and molded it to my mouth/teeth, I have been quite pleased with it.  If you are thinking of using it on rental regulators, you may need to buy three different mouthpieces because SeaCure has three types to fit the various regulators.  You can check out the different types at SeaCure's website and may find that one model fits most of the rental regs.

cyclingman

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 03:18:58 UTC »
I second DrDirector's advice regarding the SeaCure mouthpiece. I use one with my Atomic gear and like it very much. Fitting to my mouth was fast and easy, and I too cut the ends fairly short.

But: they come in several styles, to fit different types of regulators, so for use with rental gear you'll have to carry several.

divergal

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 21:12:02 UTC »
Thanks to all for the feedback on the Seacure, we'll have al look at them soon. ;)

shawrg

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:03:22 UTC »
I prefer a small mouthpiece also. My last mouthpiece developed a tear in it and when I couldn't find a small one I bought the seacure. I've been very satisfied with it & recommend that you try it out.

Scuba4000

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 16:12:54 UTC »
Write or call Nautical Enterprises (in RI).  They sell different size Mouthpieces.  You can easily have your dive shop order mouthpieces from them also.

jdiver

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36:00 UTC »
I will swear by my Seacure. Once selected for proper size, molded (and can be trimmed!), they last and last and "float" in the mouth. No jaw fatigue, you almost forget it is there.

The only problem with taking one's own and using rental gear is you may find that unless you take two gauges, one will not fit the reg you are renting.

I've used Seacure for at least ten years and have recommended it for many dive friends and family - one with TMJ loves it. Two big thumbs up from this diver with over 55 years of diving.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.