Author Topic: Puerto Vallarta - Dreams Resort  (Read 6818 times)

rkrigg

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Puerto Vallarta - Dreams Resort
« on: August 02, 2009, 21:05:35 UTC »
I am staying at Dreams Resort November 2 to 7 2009.  Resort is a must as I am at a seminar for the week there so can't stay anywhere else.  I have 100 plus dives (all in the clear warm waters of the Caribbean, Roatan, Belize, Turks and Caicos,Curacao).
I need information and suggestions on dive operators near the resort.  The resort is 6.5 miles from the Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco airport (PVR-Licenciado Gustavo Diaz Ordaz Intl.)  It appears to be near downtown.  Any help on operators to use or stay away from would be appreciated.
Diving since 2003 sites visited Aruda, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Belize, Grand Cayman (8 times), Provo, Grand Turk, Jamaica, Roatan, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Florida Keys,  Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Tulum (Cenotes and Ocean) - like small dive groups and quiet resorts

butchfri

• Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Puerto Vallarta - Dreams Resort
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 20:40:45 UTC »
I don't think you're going to find a big variety of dive operators in Puerto Vallarta.  Some will try to combine divers and snorkelers on a boat; the snorkelers don't tend to stay in the water that long and the dive operators sometimes try to rush the divers to get them back on the boat.  Viz can be nonexistent in the bay (a couple of feet max when I was there) so check on conditions before you book any dives.
However, it's a neat, historic town with many good restaurants.

rkrigg

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 00:53:10 UTC »
Thanks, the dive conditions sound about what I have been reading for that area.  Looking at using Chico's Dive Shop as they have some positive comments.  Still hoping for more input from the diving Community.
Diving since 2003 sites visited Aruda, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Belize, Grand Cayman (8 times), Provo, Grand Turk, Jamaica, Roatan, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Florida Keys,  Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Tulum (Cenotes and Ocean) - like small dive groups and quiet resorts

butchfri

• Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 16:57:34 UTC »
We used Chico's.  My logbook note indicates Chico's wasn't the most organized of dive shops, but it was several years ago, too.  Logbook also notes sighting whales on the trip back to shore.  I think given your hotel location Chico's should be pretty convenient.

jbell

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 14:28:49 UTC »
I am also going to Nuevo Vallarta (just up from Puerto Vallarta) staying at the Mayan Palace Sept5-12, 2009.  Any suggestions for a good dive shop there? 
J BELL

rkrigg

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 22:17:10 UTC »
 :)Just got back last night.  GREAT resort.  The diving well it had it's ups and down.  Water very warm and Los Arcos was ok, about 30 feet of visibility but saw 4 differnet types of eels, some very interesting Pacific fish, as all of my diving is in the Carribean.  Quantity of fish so so.  Dove El Morro and Marietas VERY good visibility and good numbers of fish, nothing big but good diving.  Long boat ride but worth it.  Visibility 80 plus feet.
I used Banderas Scuba Republic  www.bs-republic.com.  Julian was our dive master, Alex the captain and Cesar the owner.  Boat holds 6 divers.  VERY good people, Julian will take great care to find interesting things and listen to your requests.  They are a great small dive operation.  Would I use them again?  Yes!

jbell

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:04:27 UTC »
I recently stayed at Mayan Palace, Puerto Vallerta.  It was a great boutique hotel, not like the "hugh" Grand Mayan.  It is in Marina area, close to town.  The hotel is an all-suite, luxury 4 star hotel.  The one bedroom suite with full kitchen was very well appointed and very clean.  The staff is great and very helpful throughout our stay.  The restrauant and pool cafe, with a swim-up pool bar, had very good food at reasonable prices.  The was a Sam's Club, Walmart,Costco and local food market near by which had good selection of almost anything you needed.
I did my dives with Chico's.  They were very good and were very safe with thieir operation, although very relaxed .  They required "C" cards; and did not allow a person who could not prove he was a certified diver to dive (he was not PADI certified so they could not look him up on the compurter.)
Chico's had two dive boats that I used while the.  A 21' boat with small covered area for dives to Los Arcos and the second site close to town. It was adequate for those dives and there was a dive master who led the dives.  The other boat, was a bit larger, about 30'-32' for the dives further out and the dives to the Tres Islas.  It was nicer and had more room and shade.  We only had 6 divers' for all the dives during ths slow season. The diving was okay overall but not execellent. Vis on the "close in" dives was 50' to 60.' Vis on the outer dives was 60' to 65.'   Water temp. was a warm 85.  The corals were in good shape with great sea life.  Lots of eels, lobsters, and schools of the usual small fish.  Saw six couples of mating green turtles.

J BELL

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.