Author Topic: Sandals Resorts and Diving in St. Lucia  (Read 4644 times)

rickybobby

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Sandals Resorts and Diving in St. Lucia
« on: July 22, 2009, 00:59:42 UTC »
Have decided to travel to St. Lucia in 2010 and stay at one of the Sandals resorts.  Looking for comments on the resorts but more importantly the diving around the island.

billmose

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Sandals Resorts and Diving in St. Lucia
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 20:09:05 UTC »
Hi Rickybobby,

I stayed at one of the Sandals Resorts a few years ago the one that starts with an "H" (can't remember the exact name).  The resort was nice but it did not caterer to divers at all.  When we arrived at the resort we were told to go to the dive shop at 9:00 the next morning.  When we did we were told that the bus left for the boat @7:45.  When they got back from that dive we were told that we had to do a checkout dive and they only do that on the morning dives and we would have to wait until the next day.  Needless to say we were mas as hell and we would not put up with this.  After allot of arguing we were able to do our check out on the PM dive boat.  It is a cattle boat as all of the diving guests at all the resorts go on 1 boat.  There is a separate boat for the snorkelers.

There are limits.  50 feet...40 minutes.  Most of the divers that were on our boat were newbies and there was allot of arm waving and kicking of coral so we descended to 60' or so.  When the divemaster signaled us to come up we motioned to all the other divers and what they were doing he let us be.  After we came up he said it is company policy.  Now 2 of us were rescue and 2 were divemasters so they finally agreed to "look the other way".

If you are going for the diving don't use the Sandal resorts even though it is inclusive of diving.  It is not worth the aggravation.

PS:  Beware of the dinner reservation policy, it can be a bitch.

rickybobby

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:43:20 UTC »
Thanks so much for the information, these type things are exactly what I'd like to know.

billmose

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 13:00:47 UTC »
You're welcome.  That is what these fourms are for.

jbell

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 14:56:45 UTC »
Best diving is to the south of the Sandals resorts, mainly around the Anse Chatenet (sp?) resort.  A 20-40 minute boat ride depending on conditions.  There is a very good wreck dive (lots of growth, fish and two turtles followed us on my last there; got some great photos) there and the reefs are in good shape.  I have been diving there 6 times.  St. Lucia is my favorite Caribbean island.  I have stayed at Sandals Grand,  LeSport Holiday and Anse Chatenet (sp?), which the better of the three.  Of the Sandals resorts, the only one to stay at is the Sandals Grand on the beach, the other two are not worth the price and the food is better at Sandals Grand. We now rent a house when we go and find them even better.
J BELL

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.