Author Topic: drift diving in florida  (Read 4604 times)

katem

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
drift diving in florida
« on: July 13, 2009, 23:38:38 UTC »
I will be in Miami area in July. I am trying to decide between key largo and west palm beach. I have never been drift diving. I have been on about 30 dives. Am I better off going to key largo or is it easy for a less experienced diver to handle drift diving in west palm beach?

Dawn

• Underwater photographer?: no
Re: drift diving in florida
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 14:19:22 UTC »
Jim Abernathy's Scuba Adventures in Palm Bch puts the guide inb the wa ter, and is a great service oriented operation.Drift diving only becomes difficult when the current is pushing you away from the reef; most of the time this doesn't happen. A little farther south of Key Largo is Key Dives in Islamorada. Alligator reef is a great dive, and very easy. The operation is also service oriented, and will put a guide in the water, help you any way they can at no extra charge. They also don't run cattle boats.Check out their websites, and don't hesitate to e-mail them with your concerns!

craigwood

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 22:05:27 UTC »
katem,

I would strongly suggest giving drift diving a try. My recommendations would be for Underwater Exoplorers in Boynton Beach or Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter. Best if luck to you.

Good diving, Craig

DrDirector

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 00:01:19 UTC »
While I have not used them in a few years, I drift dove quite a few times while visiting my in-laws spanning several years with Leo Sand on the "Deeper" (Dive Charters International) departing from Sea Mist Marina in Boynton Beach.  Because of how the Gulf Stream comes close to the shore in this area, they have great drift diving over a very healthy and vibrant reef, and virtually every dive with Leo is a drift dive.  Max depths range from about 70 feet on the shore side of the reef and about 90 feet on the ocean side of the reef.  The top of the reef is at about 60 feet.

Leo runs a good operation. He drops groups of 2 - 4 divers at various intervals along the reef.  One person in each group carries a dive flag float and he/she is "never lost".  Other divers in that group only need to stay near (within sight of) the person carrying the flag.  As each diver hits their limits (either air or no-deco time), they ascend following the flag line and once at the surface, Leo or whoever is captaining the boat that day picks them up.  Once down to two people on the flag, when the first one hits their limits, they both ascend and are picked up.  Surface intervals are always at least an hour on two-tank dives.  Leo's motto is "you are only a stranger but once on the Deeper", and I found his motto to be true.  My contact info for Leo/Little Deeper is 888.340.DIVE, 561.734.3818 and dci@deeper-dci.com.  His website is www.deeper-dci.com.  And I have no affiliation whatsoever with Leo or his operation except as a pleased previous customer.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.