Author Topic: Software to edit unerwater photos  (Read 5416 times)

tecnodoc

• Subscriber?: yes
Software to edit unerwater photos
« on: July 09, 2009, 23:32:24 UTC »
I am looking for software to edit my pictures: iI'd especially like to adjust the white balance. I am hesitating between Adobe photoshop elemnets and Adobe lightroom. I'm looking for a simple to use software (simpler than photoshop!).

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ClaireOKC

• Claire's and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Software to edit unerwater photos
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 00:27:04 UTC »
I love Corel PhotoPaint.  It's much more "cost efficient" and just as powerful, yet easy to use.  But if you're looking for something basic try Irfanview.  It's free and basic, but once you get past that PhotoPaint is something that will grow with you.  It does come with the vector program Corel Draw, but that's an advantage as PhotoShop is separate from its vector counterpart, Illustrator and both are lots more expensive.

ldg7

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 22:13:07 UTC »
I've been using PS CS2 for a couple of years and just upgraded to CS4.  It is very much overkill for most of us, but does the job if you have the time to devote to it.  On the other hand, I just went through Lightroom 2.2 and am very impressed with it.   I think it will replace Photoshop for most of the average photographers.  Good luck.

tecnodoc

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 12:06:09 UTC »
Thanks for all your replies

I agree PS is overkill... I don't have enough time to devote to it. I laso looked at Lightroom.. a little simpler and you can process multiple images at one time in a batch , usefull for WB issues.

indigodive

• Indigo Dive, St. Vincent.
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 18:13:57 UTC »
There are some very good and inexpensive soft ware choices, especially if you just want to do basic stuff.

Me, I use Picasa to view, discard images and make minor changes. This software is free, and it's basic editing features suit me, plus I really like the album and up load features.

If need to make any more specific tweeks then Paint Shop Pro is a very helpful editing tool, and at around US$79 it's a lot of software for a very reasonable price.

Photoshop and Light Room - Life is too short, I'd rather be getting the shot  / trying to get the shot rather than providing artisitic additions after the fact ;D

shawrg

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 05:57:21 UTC »
I've just started using Gimp and although my laptop seems to strain with it (1g memory & vista), the program is very easy to adjust white balance & color with.  It's similar to PS so maybe not for you. I've used Picasso which is also free and also very easy to use. Maybe that could work for you.

dfreeman

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 04:27:49 UTC »
I use PhotoShop CS3.  Lightroom is a good pick if you just need the basics.  I use Lightroom as an organizer and PhotoShop for the serious work.

Doug

seasaw

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 00:25:11 UTC »
Exactly the opposite for me. I use Lightroom 99% of the time and hardly touch CS3 since I got lightroom.

seafan

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 23:24:48 UTC »
If you want something easy use photoshop elements.
Life's a beach... then you dive!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include Valentine's Special at Little Cayman's Paradise Villas and Dive Indonesia's Alor with a $1000 discount .