Author Topic: Australia's GBR vs. Papua, New Guinea  (Read 5335 times)

Puplover

• Subscriber?: no
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Australia's GBR vs. Papua, New Guinea
« on: July 03, 2009, 00:53:55 UTC »
I'll be in Sydney in November '09.  Can anyone tell me whether I should do a liveaboard on the GBR or is PNG the way to go if I can choose only one.  Maybe a day boat on the GBR out of Cairns and then fly to PNG for a liveaboard?  Also, which liveaboard do you recommend ?

MG

• Subscriber?: yes
Re: Australia's GBR vs. Papua, New Guinea
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 12:14:15 UTC »
I have dived on the GBR on day boats in numerous places and done a liveaboard also I have stayed at Madang (PNG) and done day boats.

If I had to choose I would do a Liveaboard out of Cairns that takes in the Ribbon reefs (GBR) and out to Osprey Reef (Coral Sea)4- 5 day trip.

These trip take in the Cod Hole famous for the BIG Potato Cod and Reef sharks at Osprey Reef

I used TAKA Dive but the Mike Ball boats such as Spoil Sport sound OK too.

:-*Best diving I have done to date.

Good luck and enjoy;D and go before the cyclone season Dec- Mar

Cheers
Mark

Wassi

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 03:50:32 UTC »
Hhmmmm what to do!

If I went to GBR I would take a liveaboard out to osprey reef etc.  TAKA has a good reputation.  www.takadive.com.au

Now PNG is an expensive destination (airfares wise), but you get your moneys worth in terms of its marine life, its top quality.  You can fly to PNG from Sydney on Air Niugini.  www.airniugini.com.pg

I have been on MV FeBrina which operates out of Walindi Resort on New Britain.  I did the Walindi - Fathers - Witu - Walindi itinerary, this was just a mind blowing experience, I have never seen such a healthy marine environment.  Walindi had awesome reefs, Fathers had lots of big stuff like sharks and Witus had incredible macro diving.  The best thing is there were no other boats around!
www.walindifebrina.com

I guess its a hard choice, depends on your budget.  But both trips should be awesome

DocV

• Global Moderator
  • Subscriber?: yes
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 14:24:12 UTC »
Hi Puplover,

Both destinations have superb diving, although IMHO PNG, on balance, is superior.

PNG is more difficult and costly to get to, more of a logistical hassle and has far more crime.  The capital city, Port Moresby, is a pit.

I would be very surprised if you were not pleased with MG's suggestion of a 4-5 day liveaboard out of Cairns that takes in the Ribbon reefs and Osprey Reef.

Have a dive circus.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Wassi

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:51:20 UTC »

Hi DocV

I just want to balance up the criticism of safety in PNG

Yes Port Moresby is a pit and yes PNG has a reputation for more crime, BUT I think most of those stories come from the larger towns and cities like Port Moresby and Lae.  To be fair there are robberies in Cairns as well and there are areas in Sydney that I would not visit, but that doesn't stop people going to those cities.  So Puplover please don't let that deter you, the chances of anything happening to you are VERY slim. 

Most of the dive operations in PNG are located in rural areas which are much safer, you don't have to stay in Port Moresby there are usually good flight connections to other parts of PNG.  The locals in PNG were some of the friendliest people I have ever met.  During my time in PNG I never felt threatened.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.