Author Topic: lionfish epidemic nassau bahamas  (Read 5125 times)

blacktip

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
lionfish epidemic nassau bahamas
« on: June 18, 2009, 02:08:36 UTC »
Well I just returned from 3 days of diving with Stuart Cove's outfit of the west coast of New Providence iskand. Around n24.55 w 77.30. On all six dives we spotted multiple adult Lionfish. One of the DM's told a story of a contest where 25 boats, each with 4 divers, caught 1400 Lionfish in one day. I dont really know how credible that story is but the fact was that there is an epidemic of Lionfish around Nassau. I read in "Reefs"emails that they are counting. I assume the other Ocean conservation groups are worried as well.
Does anyone have a solution or a starting place?

blacktip

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: lionfish epidemic nassau bahamas
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 01:01:51 UTC »
I posted this report after a few days diving at New Providence (Nassau) Island in the Bahamas. Am I so out of touch with reality to say something about this to other divers. I am so surprised that no one has a comment or some thoughts about this ecology changing event.

wonderland

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 23:12:29 UTC »
We dove off of Grand Bahama in May and saw lionfish on nearly every dive--on one dive we probably saw 8. The DM we dove with told us that Nassau was worse.  He also said people were occasionally going out to spearfish them, but I never witnessed that.

We were in Utila and Roatan in November and saw a handful over the course of the week.  I don't know if they are killing them there or not.  Someone said they were trying to catch them with nets, but I don't know if that was true either.
To dive or not to dive--what a stupid question...

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:47:34 UTC »
Hi wonderland,

Lionfish indeed are being netted off both Roatan and Utila.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.