Author Topic: Solomon Islands  (Read 10454 times)

Travelnsj

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Solomon Islands
« on: July 09, 2008, 16:24:43 UTC »
I've been looking at going to the Solomon Islands. I had a trip planned for November but I heard they have commercial fishing in the area. Being I have been to a couple of locations in Malaysia that I was disappointed in the lack of Marine life...I canceled the trip.

I am spoiled with Raja Ampat and Palau with the Marine life. Will the Marine life in the Solomons be comparable?
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

husker

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Solomon Islands
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:28:05 UTC »
did trip on Bilikiki liveaboard Oct 2007. You will not be disappointed in marine life in Solomons. Will be happy to e-mail you slideshow of trip if you request.
my e-mail trdwy@tconl.com
Dale

Travelnsj

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 02:36:47 UTC »
husker yes please send....my e-mail is Travelnsj@aol.com

Have you been to Palau, Christmas Island, Raja Ampat? The reason I ask is a couple of people who have been to the Solomons who have been to those locations say the Solomons was disappointing.

Thanks for the info.
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

TEDPEC1

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 17:15:46 UTC »
I like the diving in the Solomons. I have been diving in the Lembeh Straits twice, been to Palau, and been to Misool in Raja Ampat. I have a trip scheduled to the Solomons in October and I an sure it will be just as good as my last time there.

Travelnsj

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 17:19:55 UTC »
Is it better or as good as Palau or Misool? and did you dive a LOB?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 18:24:34 UTC by Travelnsj »

husker

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 17:47:00 UTC »
I would like to give a thumbs up to Undercurrent for the addition of this forum.
It should really enhance the information about dive locations with information of those who have been there.
Dale

TEDPEC1

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 20:00:53 UTC »
When I did my trip to Palau it was from a land based resort. All in all I would say the diving is better in the Solomons. Comparing Misool to the Solomons I would say it would be a toss up. Each destination has its own special appeal. I guess it boils down to what you are looking for. Are you a photo or video person? Are you looking for large pelagics? If you like the big action then the Solomons might not be the place to go or if your looking for dive guides that find the majority of stuff for you it might not be the place for you. The Solomons are a lot easier to get to though and the whole trip is packed with WW II history and the diving ranges from 3 feet of water to deep diving.

Travelnsj

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 20:11:07 UTC »
I like action and marine life...whether it be a zillon nudis, sharks, mantas etc. I have only found Palau, Raja Ampat, Christmas Island and Rangiora/Fakarava that have had that type of action. I've been to these "Great" places like Sipadan, Layang, Layang, Galapagos etc....that I have spent major $$$$$ to go to and you maybe get 2 to 4 dives that were what you expected.

I have yet to explore the Bligh waters in Fiji and somewhere like the Eastern Fields off PNG that everyone who has been there raves about the diving....looks like the Solomons will get a pass.

Dane Foucher

• Dane Foucher
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 23:16:03 UTC »
Big mistake to pass up the Solomons.  What is east of PNG..... the Solomons.  We did the Bilikiki and saw big fish action as well as macro stuff, and everything in between.  We saw sharks, mantas, schools of jacks and barracuda, all kinds of nudis and great soft and hard corals.  Also, the World War wrecks are all around you. It is also much easier to get to than PNG and Palau.

ScubaSound

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 00:25:23 UTC »
You can't go wrong with the Solomon's. Every kind of dive is well represented (wall, deep, drift, shallow, wreck, ect) and its isolation enables it to keep that unblemished look. We dove from the Belikiki in Feb 2004 and would go back in a heartbeat. Dispite what you might hear about the civil unrest in the area, it never seems to invade on the diving world.

Travelnsj

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 00:47:36 UTC »
Civil unrest does not bother me unless they are shooting people in the streets. I dove East Timor a couple of years ago and never had a worry.  Getting there does not bother me as I've been to Palau 8 times and find that a breeze. Going to Sorong or PNG is a challenge.

What bothers me is when I have read responses like this:

"I've been to Uepi. Nothing to get excited about. And, I sure wouldn't travel all the way to the Soloman's just to stay at Uepi. (We stayed there a few days after being on the Bilikiki liveaboard for a week.) The resort is "okay". Like the previous writer said, there is no AC in the rooms and it can get very hot there. The dive service is nothing to get excited about either. The dive guides chew beetlenut, and it is up to you to get your dive gear on/off the boat, and even on/off yourself. Lunch is brought to your room. What you get is what you get! No choices, and, you don't have the opportunity to socialize with other guests at lunch time (sort of weird??)
We were pretty disappointed in the diving in the Soloman Islands in general. The people there have overfished and have not been considerate of the ocean that surrounds them."

I've been to some of the "greatest" diving places like Sipadan, Layang Layang and a couple of others that cost me $$$$$$ for medicore diving.  I have found most of the "great diving places" (that was worthless) I have been to allow commercial fishing.  Thus my research on the Solomons as they do allow commercial fishing in their waters.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:55:23 UTC by Travelnsj »

Wayan123

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:47:28 UTC »
Commercial fishing is allowed in PNG as well and probably controlled just as ineffectively as the Solomons as the Govt. ministers really are looking a what revenue can be got now and not looking at the future.

Dove the Solomons 20 and 15 years ago and it was excellent however when I was back there for 3 month on a live-aboard I was disappointed, but then maybe I was spoiled by spending 12 years in PNG.
The best dive I did at Upei ws only 5 mins from the resort where the sharks where and the rest was disappointing, maybe it was just an off few days.  Mary's Island was good it was nowhere near what it used to be.

IMHO it does not compare with Raja, Kimbe Bay, Witus, Komodo and Bali... If you do go I would do a live-aboard rather than stay at the Upei resort.

Travelnsj

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 02:50:43 UTC »
So Peter when were you back in the Solomons for 3 months?

My decision for fall 09 is either The Solomons/Fiji or do the Antares and I confirmed they will be going to Misool!...Leaning towards Raja.

Wayan123

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 05:47:54 UTC »
Was in the Solomons (live-aboard) operating between Honiara and Gizo  2001 (sept oct nov).  I could be a lot better now than I remember it, but consider that I was very spoiled after spending 12 years in PNG.  and the of course even more so by the diving here in Indon. (especially R4 and Komodo).  From what here a lot of the places in Fiji are disappointing at the moment.  My pick over the two (if they wee my only two choices) would be Solomons.

zendee1

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 00:26:18 UTC »
We dived Gizo & Uepi in 2006. Danny Kennedy has been a driving force in protecting almost all the waters around the island of Gizo. There are no signs of fishing or other divers. Sites are pristine. Lots of fish, lots of color. It's a remote, remote island. You won't be impressed with the hotel. But the diving is wonderful. This is the setting for the movie South Pacific and you visit Kennedy Island where John Kennedy & crew landed after their pt boat sunk.

pkrupela

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 15:39:46 UTC »
I did the Solomons on the Spirit of Solomons (sister sihp to Bilikiki) several years ago, have been to Raja Ampats, Triton Bay, Komodo, etc. since then and just got back from a few days of diving on Rainbow Reef in Fiji.  Unless diving in the Solomons has changed since I was there, I'd say this about it - it wasn't the best at any one thing (critters, big animals, wrecks, etc.), but it was very good at a lot of things.  Not as "pretty" as Fiji, the walls weren't what you'd find in Palau, some big fish action in certain places, but overall very good diving.  What struck me most were the huge sea fans, the large schools of jacks and barracuda in places, the topside beauty, and the people (wonderful).  It's one of those places that doesn't amaze you all at once, but by the end of the trip, you've checked off most of the things you wanted to see and you think back and say "that was really good". 

jblake555

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 19:12:46 UTC »
June 2009 I was on the "Spirit of the Solomons", sister ship to the Bilikiki. The trip was 8 days. I'd say it was heavily fished out. Didn't see one shark and only one manta ray in the distance. The Spirit of the Solomons has poor accommodations. Cabins are too small for two people to share. A/C was poor. And the "Islander" tax I think is a shame. Supposedly, each island visited requires the passengers to pay a tax to "dive" on the island. These monies were collected by the ship's captain. I never saw him giving it to any of the chiefs or tribal elders we visited.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.