Author Topic: Cabo Pulmo, Baja  (Read 5679 times)

Twodivers in NJ

• Subscriber?: yes
Cabo Pulmo, Baja
« on: July 09, 2008, 15:10:12 UTC »
We're heading to Cabo Pulmo in late August. We've rented a car to drive from San Jose del Cabo. Does anyone know of interesting things to do on land or places to drive to?

Second week we'll be staying in Palmilla and will probably visit Cabo San Lucas.  Does anyone know any good restaurants that serve real Mexican food, not just tacos and burritos?

neal

Re: Cabo Pulmo, Baja
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 03:08:43 UTC »
The concierge at the hotel will have good suggestions for high quality, traditional Mexican restaurants.  There are many is CSL.  I usually hit the concierge with a US 20$, and go from there.

My wife and I are going to Pulmo 10/1/08; how about emailing me with your impressions?  I have been to CSL and LaPaz alot (I live in San DIego), but never to CP.  We are planning 10 days to photograph like crazy and shoot lots of video.

Please visit www.sharneal.com to see some of our productivity

my email is neal@chemical-safety.com
Enjoy Baja Sur.

Neal

Twodivers in NJ

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:15:53 UTC »
Will do; we've never been to Baja at all before. Pray there are no hurricanes.

nisely

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 22:20:58 UTC »
My wife and I just got back from Cabo pulmo. We were there from 6/28 to 7/5. We rented a car from the airport. The rental company's will try and get you to rent a SUV, but unless your planning on really getting off the beaten path a car will do. There is about 8 miles of dirt road you have to travel on before you get to the resort, its a little wash boardy but a car will do fine. We stayed at the resort, the room we had didn't have AC but it did have a palapa so we ended up sleeping under it, which made for fairly pleasant sleeping. We just dragged the mattress up the steps and left it till we left. I think all the rooms have a kitchen of some sort so if your going to cook get provisions before you get to pulmo. The last chance you have is Los Ribera its about 30 min away. Oh by the way the generator is shutdown at 10ish so even if you do have a room with AC It won't work after 10:00pm, there is fans in the rooms though. There is no power in the town, its all generators or solar.

There's 4 restaurants, Corral Reef at the resort, Los Barrillos, Nancy's, and a oversized taco diner on the beach. We ate at all except Nancy's and the food was excellent, what I'd call authentic Mexican. The Corral Reef takes credit the others didn't, take plenty of Peso's. we didn't try Nancy's because one of the locals told us they had a wedding party 3 weeks before we got there and everyone got sick so we decided to pass. But people that were staying there tried it and they said it was good and they didn't get sick. Everything is close by, the town is pretty small.

If your not diving there isn't much to do. There is some nice hiking trails close by that we did in the mornings, if your into hiking its worth doing. No night life and for the most part no shopping. But I'm guessing you want to get away from the normal resort crowd, and this is the place. La Paz is about 3 hours away.

The first day of diving was great but it went downhill from there. We lost the last 2 days of diving mainly because there was a hurricane south of us that really stirred up the water. The water was colder then we expected I would recommend at least a 5mm and a hood. The first day the water temp was 72 but as the seas changed the temp was down to 65 on the last day of diving brrrrrrrrr. The vis was about 50 ft the first day by the last day of diving maybe 20. We thought after the first day this was going to be one of our best, but unfortunately it wasn't to be. But that stuff happens sometimes. The dive shop manager did say that Sept/Oct the water was much warmer and clearer but not quite as many critters.

Cabo Pulmo had the potential to be a really great week and if the weather had cooperated I think it would've. If anyone would like more info about the diving just leave a post here with your email and I'll let you know all I know

oasisofmaragal

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:39:48 UTC »
I want a full trip report! I've been thinking I want to go to Cabo Pulmo!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.