Author Topic: Dive Computers  (Read 6070 times)

killam

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Dive Computers
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:14:50 UTC »
I would like to hear from anyone using Cochran dive computers. I especially would like to hear your experiences with the Gemini model.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:09:54 UTC by killam »

Jumpin Jack

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Dive Computers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 14:33:30 UTC »
My wife and I have been using the EMC20-H Tri-Mix Computer for about 2 years now.  I have grown to like it, BUT the user is unable to invoke the gas switching.  It is done under the time and depth parameters that the diver specifies.  That's fine if you don't have to change the dive plan, BUT sometimes that's necessary. 

Good support from the company. They are GREAT on the phone and Larry (@ Cochran) has helped me out on a number of occasions.  ::)
CRAZY Jumpin Jack Gregory
Master Scuba Repair Tech
NACD and NSS-CDS DPV Cave Diver
Marietta, GA
jjgregory@mindspring.com

gusdog

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 21:46:38 UTC »
I cannot speak about the Gemini but I have been using the Commander since 2000 more or less (don't remember when we got it).  I upgraded to a set of EM-16 a year ago.  So far so good.  The Commander had a bad habit of "going  belly up" on agressive repetitive dives in a day (4-5 dives).  By this i mean after quite a few dives over a liveaboard trip the unit would go into deco at 40 feet and keep adding onto the deco as you came up.  I have a feeling that problem has been corrected and I have not been doing that type of diving with the EM-16.    I love the display, nice and large, user changeble batteries. It seems a bit liberal but I have used the conservative feature to offset that. 

jeffhub

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 04:01:26 UTC »
We have been Cochran since 1994, first Nemesis, since 2000 Gemini Plus.  After a threatened (not actual) malfunction, we bought a 3d unit as backup.  We rotate them, and the three have about 1100 dives among them, the majority on nitrox.  Extremely user friendly, replace your own batteries & c.  Easy to read, with backlight for night and dark wrecks.  Analyst software & interface are fun, and some esoteric settings are accessible only through interface.  All the common ones (max depth alarm, pO2 for nitrox, tank volume, & c.) are done with just the dive computers, and are easy.
Service and advice are excellent.  The present model is Gemini (no "Plus") which has a smart wrist unit that can function on its own, instead of depending on tank unit.
Good website, divecochran.com.
M & J H

craigwood

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 15:41:10 UTC »
I would be very interested in hearing about members' experiences with the Suunto Vytec DS and/or Oceanic VT3/Aeris Elite T3. I have been diving an Oceanic Pro Plus for 6 years, about 280 dives, and appreciate the liberal Pelagic Pressure Systems decompression algorithm. I have no experience with RBGM/deep stops. The Suunto algorithm does appear to be one of the more conservative. Thanks in advance for your comments.

zumbado

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 18:26:53 UTC »
I have not used the Vytec computer, but I've been diving Suunto computers for a number of years, and would buy then if I had to replace mine. I use a Vyper and a Stinger as backup. And now because of age, I am using the more conservative setting.  :)
Keep on diving,

Juan

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.