Author Topic: Diopters - Compact cameras  (Read 4514 times)

indigodive

• Indigo Dive, St. Vincent.
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Diopters - Compact cameras
« on: May 19, 2009, 19:56:36 UTC »
For the past 4 years I have been using a Sea and Sea compact camera. I started with a D8000 (which is now sadly deceased) and then moved to a DX1G.

Whilst both systems have their issues for the most part I have been satisfied with the results that I have been able to get. I especially like the fact that I can switch from wide angle to macro to video and back with ease whilst underwater.

The down side is that the camera is a 'jack of all trades' but does not do any one thing as well as I would like.

The US$4000+ price tag to move into the DSLR bracket is not up for negotiation at the moment, so the next best thing is to look at wet lenses as a way of getting closer.

Has anyone else used or is using this system? If so is it successful. I want to get closer to the small stuff you see!

Kay Wilson,
Indigo Dive,
St. Vincent.

indigodive

• Indigo Dive, St. Vincent.
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Diopters - Compact cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 19:23:22 UTC »
OK - so no-one responded so I went ahead and bought a couple of stacking lenses from Sea and Sea to add to my DX1G (I also treated myself to a YS110a strobe - Happy 40th to me!).

Sooo after a number of outings I have been made the following observations....

1. I should have bought an other lense caddy
2. My camera set up with the twin stobes and additional wet lenses now looks like a Christmas tree!
3. The diopters work great, but the distance between subject and camera is a lot less, and so makes taking the picture more difficult, but when I do the clarity and detail is wonderful.

4. Realized that what I REALLY want is a wet telephoto  ;D

Some of my recent shots with the new lenses can be seen at....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Indigo-Dive-St-Vincent/86847095454?ref=ts

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.