Author Topic: La Paz and Loreto  (Read 7023 times)

grammyb

• Subscriber?: yes
La Paz and Loreto
« on: July 09, 2008, 00:00:19 UTC »
Any suggestions for dive shops in Loreto and LaPaz on the Baja Peninsula. Also, has anyone gone from one to the other by bus? We don't want to rent a car unless absolutely necessary, and airfare is outrageous.

Travelnsj

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: La Paz and Loreto
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 16:14:32 UTC »
I had used the Dolphin divers in Loreto. They were great...the diving 20' vis, major thermoclines etc. Would not go back.
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

ktdiveloco

• WooooooooHooooooooo!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 22:55:10 UTC »
Baja Ex in La Paz is absolutely the best.  I have probably done over 100 dives with them since '97 (all on their day boats, not the liveaboard).  Great customer service and the best dive masters anywhere!  You can find them at bajaex.com
Be prepared for currents at times and depending on the weather, jellies.  It's great diving though!!
KT

oasisofmaragal

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:58:30 UTC »
I've taken the bus from Loreto to Magdalena Bay, and then up to Mulege and back.It's a longish trip from Loreto south (but the scenery is gorgeous), and La Paz is even further.  HOWEVER, the buses were wonderful and all the people associated with the bus companies were also wonderful, they seemed to feel a personal obligation to make sure we got where we were supposed to. MUCH better than any American bus that I've been on in YEARS! AND CLEAN !!! No problems carrying dive gear on the bus. I like Mulege, only a couple of hours north of Loreto. Cortez Explorers Dive will take very good care of you there.

380slman

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 14:40:20 UTC »
We made plans to dive Loretto last February. The dive shops are limited and they told me they do not dive at that time of year due to weather conditions and whale watching. Since I live in Alaska I changed plans and went to Cozumel. I am now a property owner on Cozumel and the diving is just terrific. There are many many turtles and the drifts can range from a gentle slow ride to a wild zooming drift that make you want to go back.

oasisofmaragal

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 19:40:53 UTC »
I am glad that you are now happily settled in Cozumel, but sorry that you had a less than wonderful experience in Baja Sur.  Yes, I've had problems in Loreto with Dive shops. I finally found/made a friend or two and they steered me to Cormorant where I found staff who actually wanted to go diving, though they warned me that conditions were less than optimal.  We had a great time, and then I went up to Mulege where I found Mick at Cortez Explorers.  Great diving, though <30 vis and needed my 7mm!
Really liked the stuff you see that comes with the decreased vis! It was neat knowing there were whales around though we didn't see any. Had a good time watching the Super Bowl with the ex-pats and snowbirds!  Where and when is one most likely to find those ripping currents in Cozumel. I love to fly and have been a little disappointed not to find those famous drifts!

380slman

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 00:09:03 UTC »
I dove in February and May. The more popular dive sites to the south ususally have a gentle drift. For the express you need to do the dives to the north. Diving with Blue Angel, it was required to enter and exit as a group. Surface chop can be daunting for the boat captain if divers get separated. Take your buoy and know how to use it. Cuba is 60 miles away.

oasisofmaragal

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 07:30:25 UTC »
Thanks!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.