Author Topic: negative reviews  (Read 8755 times)

lisslane

• Subscriber?: yes
negative reviews
« on: June 13, 2008, 00:34:18 UTC »
why do you guys only write bad stuff?

Jimjenk

Re: negative reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 13:15:10 UTC »
Which guys?  Posters?  Undercurrent writers?  Which stuff?

mjrovner

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 20:26:01 UTC »
I see tons of great reviews in the online database.  In fact, it's the main way i find dive operators...
Always looking for travel partners.  Have Master SD cert. and 88 dives.

agilulfo

• blue number nine's music
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 20:27:41 UTC »
ditto!  :)

ktdiveloco

• WooooooooHooooooooo!!!!!!!
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 23:06:27 UTC »
My thoughts on negative and positive reviews ...

Every place we go is going to have some positives and some negatives.  If I give a review of the place I stayed, one of my positives might turn out to be something you can't stand and vice versa.

For example, when we were diving in our 20's and early 30's, we thought and island with no roads (2 hour bumpy boat ride to get there) and no electricity was perfect ... a definite positive.  We scoffed at those pampering resorts that carried your gear, etc.

We now tend to enjoy pampering quite a bit and don't find the "no roads, no electricity" to have the same appeal it once did. 

So when I am reading all the reviews, I take someone else's negative in stride (it might be good for me) and someone's good thing into perspective.  After all, it's all relative!
KT

lazylady

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:53:04 UTC »
I think the reviews (as are mine when I write them) reflect the experiences we have with a dive shop/resort/liveaboard. 

I read thereviews to get ideas on where to go and where to stay while there, which dive operators to dive with and who I should (possibly) avoid. 

The only problem I see with the reviews are that they are limited to 1000 words.  If this limitation did not exist, perhaps a fuller picture of reviewers stays could be had? 

Brutus

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 17:44:19 UTC »
Sometimes I'm amazed of peoples opinoin of a trip or dive I was on.  I might say this was one of the best dives ever and another couple had nothing but bad comments about it.  You really have to look at what the expectations/motivation was for the dive, resort.  There are also people who always look at the glass half full.  Reviews are an opinion and everyone has them but I'll pay more attention to one with facts and events to support their claims rather than a general comment like the DM was terrible without any facts to support the statement.

RussFair

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 23:44:01 UTC »
I make a point to try to see if really negative or really positive reviewers have reviewed other locations/providers to see if they are just always negative.  I have never gone wrong in following suggestions from Undercurrent reader reviews.

Airhead52

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 21:49:14 UTC »
  An old newshound who had a syndicated column in newspapers once told me that you should write  an article honestly, and commit to your personal bias to the reader.   Nobody is totally objective, but opinion, when qualified, is welcome.   Say what you feel about a resort/dive operator/country, but give your reader an insite to your personal perspective.  That's all you owe anyone.   Thanks for listening. Airhead54 (old fart).
Most Baby Boomers Look Better In a Wetsuit!

blacktip

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 23:16:58 UTC »
I think you have to let the chips fall where they may. I believe that those paying for an ad free newsletter and an open forum are mature individuals. When I write reviews I try to give the readers a sense of who I am and what my experience with travel and diving are. Not every dive , dive operator and dive location is a perfect 10. Some have really great parts and some weaknesses. I want to know it all so I can make an informed decision.

Airhead52

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 00:22:46 UTC »
 Thanks to Blacktip.   This forum has more facts than fluff so far.  I am impressed with the spirit of all who participate  in this new forum, and hope you all feel the same.  Airhead52.
Most Baby Boomers Look Better In a Wetsuit!

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 11:35:43 UTC »
Which guys?  Posters?  Undercurrent writers?  Which stuff?

Hi Jim,

Apparently the original poster really isn't that interested in pursuing his as yet unsupported assertion.  He has logged onto the board subsequent to your question, but hasn't responded.

Fly by slams are easy; constructive criticism takes more effort.

In any event, I enjoyed reading others more reasoned comments.

Regards,

DocVikingo

cdiver2

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 18:54:50 UTC »
I have to agree with most poster on this subject. I read good and bad reviews and then make an informed decision on where I want to go.
Just be happy that you can (if needed) criticize a op, not all boards will let you especially if a op is paying for advertising on that board

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.