Author Topic: fiji diving - concerns  (Read 4916 times)

Swan

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
fiji diving - concerns
« on: May 11, 2009, 13:12:14 UTC »
Hello:  planning a first trip to Fiji.  I have trouble equalizing and need extra time to get down.  Have read about strong currents everywhere and am concerned.  I would like easy, colourful dives.  Thinking Viti Levu north shore one week plus one week Taveuni or Kadavu.  Any better suggestions? Don't want a liveaboard.  Also, what time of year to get calmest conditions and great vis?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm so confused by the conflicting info. from travel guides.  I put my trust in fellow divers!

Dane Foucher

• Dane Foucher
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: fiji diving - concerns
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 16:12:07 UTC »
What gives the color to the reefs in Fiji is the currents...... soft coral polyps extend in the currents giving way to fantastic color.  That said, you will find some very pretty reefs on your first week to north shore Viti Levu as well as in Taveuni and Kadavu.  Taveuni is absolutely beautiful with many topside interests, waterfalls, etc.  But the main diving area is the Somosomo Straits best known for the color (Great White Wall) during the incoming tide.  You can dive this area in slack tide, but the colors are noticeably less vibrant.  My suggestion is Kadavu, as there are several beautiful dive sites for novices with little or no current.  There is also a Manta cleaning station where Manta sightings are all but certain.

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 13:19:09 UTC »
Hi Swan.

I agree with Dane--Kadavu wil be easier SCUBA for the newer diver.

SCUAB water temps will be warmest Jan-Apr (can hit 86-87 degrees), coolest Aug-Nov (can hit 75-76 degrees); best viz is Jul-Sep; Nov-Apr is the wet season, May-Oct the dry season.

Regards,

DocVikingo 

Swan

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 21:18:09 UTC »
Hello Dane and DocV:
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my dive conditions and weather questions.  For the time being we've put Fiji on the back burner and will he heading to Puerto Galera and Dumaguete in the Philippines where the diving is said to be easier.  Thanks again for your speedy responses...we love Undercurrents!
Colleen & Peter

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.