Author Topic: St. Lucia  (Read 5087 times)

grammyb

• Subscriber?: yes
St. Lucia
« on: July 08, 2008, 23:58:44 UTC »
Anyone have yeas, nays, or other comments? Thinking of May, 09.

Airhead52

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: St. Lucia
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 15:47:47 UTC »
My wife and I have visited St. Lucia in April, 2006.  (Early April).  We stayed in Rodney Bay with her Brother, but did most diving at or near Anse Chastenet in the south.  The weather was barely tolerable, with rain and choppy seas every day.  The diving is excellent, however, and had some sunlight for photos. 
   I would recommend staying at Anse Chastenet, a diver oriented resort that is actually near the international airport in the south.  If you choose to stay in Rodney Bay, or elsewhere, beware Castries, the capital and seaport.  We have traveled throughout the Caribbean and Mexico in recent years, and Castries is by far on of the worst cities in the Caribbean to visit, drive through, land a cruise ship in, etc. 
   Many spotted morays, some turtles, no sharks, but I got a rare digital video of a flying gunard (spelling?).   Have a great trip!
Most Baby Boomers Look Better In a Wetsuit!

GiulianoLC

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 03:19:29 UTC »
My husband and I very much enjoyed St. Lucia.  The diving was a great surprise.  As already noted, lots of variety.  We were there in Jan 04 and stayed in a villa in Soufriere (same area as Anse Chastanet -- we got a great deal on luxurylink.com).  Everyone I've spoken to has said the diving is significantly better in this area than other parts of the island.  We had to fly into Castries and took a taxi down -- i'm not one to get car sick easily, but the ride was intense.  On the way back we went by boat which was much more scenic and faster.  If you want to splurge you can go by helicopter.   

jeffhub

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 14:32:23 UTC »
Anse Chastenet gets pretty good reviews in UC.  Our only visit to St. Lucia was with DAN in 2000 at Sandals.  The hotel was o.k.  My review is in UC (2001, probably) but the last sentence about diving got edited out.  It was, approximately: Don't do it.
M & J H

blacktip

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 20:00:41 UTC »
I remember a terrific drift dive in front of the
pitons

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 20:26:12 UTC »
I haven't been there for a number of years, but I stayed at Anse Chastenet, which was quite nice and decent food.  Diving was pretty easy and quite nice.  I was with an old girlfriend who didn't dive and so got to chatting with the divemasters on all the trips - they were great and even invited me along on a special trip they were doing for a couple of other guests one afternoon.

Funniest dive was a "drift" dive at a site I near the Pitons - except no current so it was a swimming drift dive.  But overall, very nice diving.
Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.