Author Topic: Emperor Divers - Hurghada Liveaboard  (Read 4142 times)

stephanie

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Emperor Divers - Hurghada Liveaboard
« on: May 03, 2009, 14:05:44 UTC »
Hello. I forgot to submit this to the dive reports last year but I believe that it is important to share the information.

I dove with Emperor liveaboard operators on the Emperor Tranquility April 24-May 1 2008.  The boat was very large and was not full only about 17 divers for the trip.  The boat had plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, large dive deck. 

The diving was good with lots to see:  Hard/soft corals, small schools of fish, a few turtles, tons of eels and spotted stingrays.  The dive briefings were good but too many divers wanted to be guided and only one dive guide would dive at a time not both so it made it difficult to get around the group if they were in front of you.  Dive sites include:  Gifton Island, Small Gubal Island, Abu Nuhas, Ras Mohammed, Thistlegorm, etc.

The sea was very rough (large swells at Abu Nuhas) at times and riding the zodiac 5-15 minutes in these conditions was tiring.  It also made it difficult in terms of releasing the SMB and getting back inside the zodiacs.

The dive masters were very informative but I questioned their attention to safety when they tried to push me to do a night dive on the Thistlegorm with strong current. Only 5 male divers did it and one of them missed the boat line back because the current was so strong. 

Emperor (operated out of Hurghada) also rented some equipment that didn’t look well maintained:  boots with broken zippers, alternate regulators that only gave sea water, tank valves that would get stuck when only half open. 

This year I dove with the Blue o Two group and it was great.  The attention to safety, conservation was very high (I did submit a report on this trip).

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.