Author Topic: Peleliu  (Read 4723 times)

paprika1

• Subscriber?: yes
Peleliu
« on: April 21, 2009, 23:52:16 UTC »
Any thoughts on a two week trip to Palau with a 3-4 day side trip to Dolphin Bay on Peleliu.  We find it tiresome to hop over to Yap or Truk and have to waste dive days.  The trip to Peleliu is done by boat.  We don't hear much about Peleliu.  We aren't afraid of quiet and simple destinations.  We love Little Cayman and Grand Turk  and have been to both 6+ times each.  Just nervous about Peleliu 'cause not much input from folks...   Wish we had more than two weeks but we don't...the economy you know...

bigboofer

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Peleliu
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 16:41:01 UTC »
We only spent the day at Peleliu but the Peleliu Express is a great drift dive.

A tour of the battlefield is a must.

I found the manta dive on Yap to be a disappointment (since I've been to Sorcoro) and Truk must be done on the Odyssey.

Travelnsj

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:29:06 UTC »
Peleliu is great diving....been there a few times...if you do the express the only thing that bothers me down where you surface....The waters can be a bit rough for people prone to seasickness....I usually do the area where the cut is....pass on Yap and if you are not into (almost)100% wreck diving I would pass.
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

reveleth

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 13:48:29 UTC »
I highly recommend staying in Peleliu at the Dolphin Bay -- you will have a terrific experience.  The location couldn't be better.  You are surrounded by all the best dive sites Palau has to offer with the furthest boat ride maybe 20 minutes at the most.  The owners of Dolphin Bay are Godwin and Myumi.  They are wonderful people and have created a very nice dive resort.  It has be a number of years since we have been there, but friends went this past summer and couldn't stop talking about it.  The accomodations are a bit rustic, but clean and nice, and the food is very good.  If you go, be sure to take the World War II tour -- Peleliu is the site of one of the longest and bloodiest battles in the pacific.  The tour can be done after diving.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.