Author Topic: DAN Demp course  (Read 5388 times)

blacktip

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
DAN Demp course
« on: April 11, 2009, 16:56:26 UTC »
I just stated a Dan DEMP course as an adjunct to my Rescue Diver certification. This seems like a good idea. It also may be redundant. Looking for some thoughts

DeepSeaDan

• "Here's ta swimmin' with bow-legged women"
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: DAN Demp course
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:29:49 UTC »
Hello!

To save me the time of searching this out, can you describe the essentials of this course for me?

Thanks!

DSD
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat..."

Roy Scheider in "Jaws"

blacktip

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 23:47:58 UTC »
It's a course and certification from DAN. It includes 5 modules: AutoElec Defib, O2. Advanced O2, First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life injuries and Onsite Neurological Assessment. I took it once a week over 5 weeks.
Prerequisites were rescue diver and emergency first responder. Hope this helps

DeepSeaDan

• "Here's ta swimmin' with bow-legged women"
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:36:12 UTC »
It's a course and certification from DAN. It includes 5 modules: AutoElec Defib, O2. Advanced O2, First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life injuries and Onsite Neurological Assessment. I took it once a week over 5 weeks.
Prerequisites were rescue diver and emergency first responder. Hope this helps

Absolutely this course is beneficial! These advanced skills & techniques would serve you well in handling a diving emergency. You now have the skills to employ airway adjuncts to assist in maintaining a patent airway; to ventillate w/ a bvm to deliver 90% + O2 to the patient, with the added benefit of being able to monitor respiratory compliance; you've got defib. ( remember to promote "excellent" cpr! All cpr is not created equally - insist on proper rate & d.o.c. ); basic neurological skills are very useful in fereting out vague d.c.i. signs.

All this adds up to better patient care - I commend you for taking the time to better prepare yourself to help.

Regards,
DSD
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat..."

Roy Scheider in "Jaws"

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.