Author Topic: can't decide on vacation location  (Read 4130 times)

scubagirlj

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
can't decide on vacation location
« on: March 20, 2009, 19:09:30 UTC »
Husband and I get one week in late November to go away-can't decide between Belize, Cozumel or Grand Cayman. Want to get in as many dives as possible but want quality dive operation. Don't want to be "roughing it" as we work too hard all year and want a little pampering. Any ideas? Don't want to break the bank but not on a tight budget either.

pcmcmahan

Re: can't decide on vacation location
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 00:15:41 UTC »
I would consider Little Cayman Beach Resort. The accommodations are top notch. The boats are big and in good condition. I believe they do a 3 dive per day profile with the option of a night dive at some point during the week. Bloody bay wall is one of the most spectacular walls on the planet. My wife and I have stayed and/or dove with the resort three times. We have never been disappointed.

scubagirlj

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 01:13:28 UTC »
Thanx for the idea, will do some research on flights, we are from Delmarva area(Delaware/Maryland/Virginia) so usually have pretty good options for departing airports

DowningB

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 19:08:49 UTC »
I'm not sure of your definition of breaking the bank, but I can strongly recommend Turneffe Island Resort in Belize.  Excellent accomodations, great food and a top-notch diving operation and experience.

TIR bills itself as a "private Caribbean island" as it's the only entity on its own 14-acre caye about 35 miles off the coast.  They pick up and drop off guests in Belize City on Wednesdays and Saturdays.   

When we were there last summer, they ran two dive boats two to three times a day.  Each boat can hold up to 12 divers, but the norm was more like 6 to 8 and sometimes as few as 3.  All of the dive sites are within 5-10 minutes of the boat dock, so surface intervals are back at the resort.  The exception is on Tuesdays, when they run their big boat to the Blue Hole, which is about an hour twenty minutes away, so they spend the entire day diving in that area before returning to the resort in time for dinner.  They also do a Thursday night dive.

It's not cheap, but considering all expenses are paid before you go--except for drinks, nitrox and (if you need it) rental gear--it's a pretty good value for what you get.

My wife and I spent two weeks there and really enjoyed it.  We don't usually vacation at the same spot more than once, but in this case we're definitely going to make an exception.

http://www.turnefferesort.com/

scubagirlj

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 20:20:09 UTC »
thanx for the info-I have to split up our vacation time into 7 days in Nov, 4 in Jan and 4 in Mar, so the Sat to Sat might work-was concerned about how to get from mainland to atoll

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.