Author Topic: Need recommendations for Oahu  (Read 4244 times)

hberson

• Subscriber?: yes
Need recommendations for Oahu
« on: March 16, 2009, 14:32:15 UTC »
I will be there for a wedding next month so I am pretty much locked into diving Oahu due to time constraints.  If anyone has any recommendations for a dive operation near Waikiki, they would be greatly appreciated.

craigwood

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Need recommendations for Oahu
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:49:31 UTC »
Hi hberson,

I just got back from Oahu last Sunday. I did 12 dives over 3 days with Alex Mason (formerly AAA, see my Undercurrent reviews), now, Alex's Aquatic Adventures http://alexsaquaticadventures.com/ He will pick you up on time from your Waikiki hotel, get you to the boat, take good care of you (coffee, water, hot towels, dry towels, jackets...) and lead great dives. I did Sea Tiger x2, Turtle Canyon x2, Kewalo Pipe, YO-257 and San Pedro, Nautilus Reef, Kewalo Arch, Corsair, China Wall/Spitting Caves x2 and Angler's Reef. Incredible number of turtles, morays, whitetip sharks, frogfish, leaf scorpionfish, octopi, nudis, eagle rays... The wrecks are fun. Dived off the Enzo in Malama Bay and the Nori-Z in Maunalua Bay.

The water was 73-75 degrees, I was very glad I had my full 5 mm, especially with all the bottom time. Best of luck to you in Oahu.

Good diving, Craig

hberson

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 16:40:16 UTC »
Craig,
That is a really helpful recommendation.  I did read a review from a while back I think but this is great.  I had heard that the water temp can get down there...73-75 is chilly.  I only have a 3mm, but was considering a .5mm shirt, maybe I need more.  I'm going to check in with these guys right away.  I really appreciate the response.

Thanks again,
Hal

craigwood

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 20:35:53 UTC »
Hi Hal.

Tell Alex, Craig sent you. If you're diving 2 dives a day, you will probably be OK with a full 3 mm, maybe with a hood or hooded vest. Most of the dives were 74 degrees, I was one of the few divers that was warm at the end. Best of luck to you, I bet you'll enjoy your time on Oahu.

Good diving, Craig

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.