Author Topic: Cheng Ho in Raja Ampat  (Read 5625 times)

reveleth

• Subscriber?: yes
Cheng Ho in Raja Ampat
« on: March 03, 2009, 23:19:21 UTC »
Has anyone sailed on the Cheng Ho since Kerri and Hergen left? I am specifically wondering about the new dive guides experience in the Rajah Ampat area. We dove with the Cheng Ho to Komodo in 2007 and are diving with them again in April to Rajah Ampat. One of the highlights was having Kerri and Hergen as Directors and Dive Masters. They were extremely conscientious, professional, and experienced. This is our "big" trip and hope it is as successful as past ones. Thank you

theresad

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Cheng Ho in Raja Ampat
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 23:08:39 UTC »
how ws your trip?

reveleth

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 21:33:34 UTC »
Our trip on the Cheng Ho to Raja Ampat was fabulous!  The new Directors and dive masters were outstanding!  It turns out Kristine and Pete were recommended by Kerri and Hergen and had similar qualities.  They were very friendly, yet professional, and conscientious.  The boat and operation was once again first-class, the food was even better, the sites we went to provided excellent diverse diving in a very safe and natural environment.  This trip the staff seemed more attentive and friendly than our previous trip.  The boat was well equipped to handle all our photographic needs, and we highly recommend Kararu Dive operation for anyone planning a trip to Indonesia.

theresad

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 15:12:52 UTC »
Thanks for getting back to me.....we are off in a few weeks and cannot wait!

lmyel

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 20:24:05 UTC »
Dear divers,

I have been recently diving in Komodo Islands on the Cheng Ho and wanted to share some comments about the liveaboard:

- The crew and divemasters were very nice and the quality of the food was very much appreciated. The transfers to the islands and the airport were good and timely.
- The boat was reasonably clean though some parts should be more regularly washed. A few cockroaches were found from time to time in the cabins.
- we had booked this liveaboard mainly because it offered Nitrox and were really disappointed to hear from the 1st day on board that no Nitrox was available.
- We rented BCD, regulator : although the BCDs were OK, the regulator had to be changed at least 3 times because it was not working properly. The quality of the equipment was definetly not good and the boots were old, with lots of holes.
- We asked during the trip to have some oxygen and it was realized that the only tank available on the boat was completely empty. This was realized after 3 days of diving during the trip and I believe that this is completely unacceptable as this should be the minimum safety aspect a liveaboard should ensure for the divers. We were strongly worried to find out about this and believe that this should not happen again in the future.

I hope this helps.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.