Author Topic: BEWARE - Perscription Dive Masks, San Diego, CA  (Read 19717 times)

tmccabe

• Subscriber?: yes
BEWARE - Perscription Dive Masks, San Diego, CA
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:42:46 UTC »
In the past I have had good luck getting great service and lenses from Perscription Dive Masks, San Diego, CA. BUT a recent new order for lenses fit to a standard Scubapro mask has gone awfully wrong. Not only have they charged my credit card, they ply me with excuse after excuse as to why the order hasn't been filled and delivered to me. They've even claimed that the mask is damaged (it was brand new) and no one in their area sells Scubapro masks - IN SAN DIEGO!!!! . After two months of waiting I am out the lens cost ($280) plus the cost of the new Scubapro mask ($80).

So, BEWARE, these folks are ripping people off. I am currently trying to convince my credit card company to do a charge back. And I have filed a fraud complaint with the California Attorney General's Office.

The name of this company is Perscription Dive Masks in San Diego.

ClaireOK

• Claire's & Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: BEWARE - Perscription Dive Masks, San Diego, CA
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 16:18:26 UTC »
Gee - I hate hearing this...I've had really good luck with them and used them extensively in the shop when I was there.  We never had a problem, and I'm very picky about my lenses.  I even have a specific location where my close & far separation is, and they matched it perfectly.

So sorry you're having problems.  At the time, I was in a shop, we didn't have another source, do you know of another one that can do this?

tmccabe

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 16:57:43 UTC »
There are other services. Leonard Maggiore, an optician in Long Beach, CA is one - (http://www.rxdivemask.com/). He was a pioneer in the dive mask prescription lens techniques years ago apparently. And he's still in business. Seavision says they will also fit lenses to masks other than those they market under their Seavision name. So, if you have a specific style of mask you prefer, either source is worth a try. I tried Seavision a couple of years ago and wasn't thrilled about their mask or vision of the lenses - that's how I found the San Diego folks.

I am overnight shipping a second Scubapro Clear VU 4 mask to Mr. Maggiore today and talked with him by phone yesterday. He already has my bifocal prescription in the works. And he directed me on how to have someone mark the mask so he'll know exactly where my left and right pupils line up to insert the bifocal lenses exactly where they should be. Hopefully, this will work out. He also promised a quick turnaround.

I am really disheartened by the Prescription Dive Masks folks. They go to a lot of dive conventions and have been around for years. I wonder if the sour economy has anything to do with my continuing bad experience with them this time?

tmccabe

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 17:42:13 UTC »
Correction on Mr. Maggiore's address. He's located in Long Beach, NY, not CA.

DowningB

• Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 16:35:11 UTC »
I too am surprised to read this.  I've used PDM three times now with absolutely no complaints.  I recently bought an Atomic Subframe that I plan on sending to them once I have my bi-annual eye exam.  I know other divers who have used PDM as well and have been completely satisfied.

If I understand your post correctly, you're out $360 and have no mask to show for it.  Ouch. 

tmccabe

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 19:03:09 UTC »
As a followup to my initial post, I FINALLY received the mask from PDM. Almost two months to get it - and received 3 different reasons for the delay (broken lenses, wrong prescription, damaged skirt). The lenses are okay - bifocal is very narrow angle and will need to view dive computer at just the right angle. But at least I have a mask w/lenses now - the 2nd they've done for me in 3 years. I thought I was going to be out the cost of the lenses plus new mask. But I guess my threat of action and contact with the credit card company finally did the trick. They did overnight the completed mask, however. So, perhaps this was just a sad tale with a happy ending. Not sure I'd go through this again, however.

tmccabe

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 19:03:16 UTC »
Additional info. for anyone interested. As a hedge against not getting my new lenses/mask back from PDM in San Diego, I sent an identical new Scubapro Clear VU 4 mask to Leonard Maggiore in Long Beach, NY early last week. He's an optician who "invented" scuba mask prescription lenses many years ago and is still in business. I talked with him by phone and read my prescription to him to be sure he could do it and return the mask in time to make a dive trip the first week of April. I received the mask back today and the lenses are great. Less than 2 weeks turnaround from the day I sent it - which he says is normal time. (super!!). Total cost was about 20% less than PDM (same bifocal prescription) and included return priority shipping. Workmanship on the lenses is about the same - very good - with the bifocal viewing a bit restricted to a narrow angle like the lenses done by PDM. I think the mask shape plays a big role in that now having done two identical masks by difference services.

Bottom line in all this is I now have 2 new masks with identical prescriptions. One will now be a backup. I am 60, so my prescription will change over time. But this is he first correction in three years, and only a slight one. So hopefully, I'll get my money's worth having both masks. Beats not having any at all!

Mr. Maggiore has a web site at www.rxsportoptics.com. I'd highly recommend his service. And frankly, my experience with PDM may have been just a fluke. I was happy with their service and lenses three years ago and that's why I didn't hesitate to use them again. But it's nice to know alternatives - with great products and service - are also available.

I hope this helps fellow divers with similar prescription lens needs.

DowningB

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 22:41:59 UTC »
I'm glad it all ended well for you--although you're out some $$ that I'm sure you would have preferred not to spend.

And at least you have a current prescription backup mask.  I switch masks every few years, so my old mask with my old prescription is always my backup.  That's less than ideal but also certainly less expensive than having both masks retrofitted with current lenses.

It's still a few months before I have my eyes checked again.  I had always assumed I would use PDM again, but you've certainly given me something to think about.

seasaw

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 01:50:28 UTC »
I have used PDM many times in the past as well as recently (about 2 months ago). I have also referred half a dozen divers to them. No complaints from me or the people I've referred. I'm not in a position to judge what happened here, but I know it is very unusual. I will not hesitate to continue using PDM.
                   Steve

DowningB

Follow-up to my earlier post
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 16:33:29 UTC »
I got my fourth PDM mask over the summer with no issues.

As usual, I bought my mask, an Atomic Sub-Frame (the best mask I've ever owned), from my LDS.  Then I called PDM to let them know it was coming.  They said it would be an approximately 14-day turnaround. 

I then mailed the mask along with my prescription. 

PDM called two days later to ask for my credit card info. 

My newly-outfitted mask arrived eight days after that, for a 10-day turnaround.

Another smooth transaction with PDM!

Larry

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 23:04:13 UTC »
Leonard Maggiore did my mask about a year ago.
 He is getting up there in years, but is still doing very nice work.
To save time and hassle (I am in S.E. Asia) I called up Leisure Pro, and had them ship a mares mask directly to him. (same mask I use here)
They gave me a further discount as they do a lot of work with him, and he had it in 18 hours and the mask ready in about a week. (Astigmatism and nearsighted).
 He kept a pattern of my lenses to make me the soon to be needed bifocals.
 Good service and as I recall the cost was less then $150 with shipping.
No hassle and now looking forward to my bifocals. (Kinda!)

Linda

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 17:11:36 UTC »
Attn: Beware.
 I'm so sorry you had such problems with us (Prescription dive masks) back in 2009. This is not the way my company handles problems. We have always prided ourselves on excellent customer service as all those positives remarks prove.  Not to give excuses but I started a breast cancer journey in January 2009. I left the company with my asst. during all my surgeries, chemo and radiation. My asst. obviously dropped the ball for this customer. She ended up leaving within a week after I came back to work at the end of 2009. It had been a year and there were a few fires for me to put out. All of which I did except this customer.  I would like to offer this customer something special but I don't actually know who it is. So please except my sincere apologies for the headache and hassle you dealt with during my absence.
Linda Young
CEO Prescription Dive Mask Inc.

Tom

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 18:51:24 UTC »
Hello All,

I am very surprised to hear of this problem.  I've used PDM for 15 years now with never any problem.  They did the work for my newest mask, which was about three months ago.  It is the sharpest, best mask I've ever owned! It's already been diving in the Andaman Islands of India and Cuba, as well as SoCal. Been helping me get some good photos too.

Wendy Durr

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 23:20:56 UTC »
I have used this company several times for me and my son for the past 5 years, never a problem in fact expedited service when we needed a replacement mask immediately.  Great service

Terry Wilensky

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 19:34:39 UTC »
I have been using PDM for 20 plus years! I have never had a problem with them! I have had problems getting the replacement mask lenses from the factory when they discontinue the mask. PDM would let me know to start looking for a new mask or try to buy old ones to use the old lenses for my old mask! One time I drove down to there office and had to pick up mine, I forgot to send down and they did a turnaround in three days for me!!!!! I have two new masks for them to do just waiting for my eye Dr. appointment for the new prescription.

Andy Malbin

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 21:03:03 UTC »
They made my mask a few years ago - good customer service - good mask - no problems
Andy

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.