Author Topic: Canon G10 housing and WA lens adapter  (Read 8048 times)

tecnodoc

• Subscriber?: yes
Canon G10 housing and WA lens adapter
« on: February 28, 2009, 21:45:14 UTC »
I'm in need of help in choosing a G10 housing

Canon OEM housing with a UWCa adapter
Fisheye FIX G10 housing with FIX 15mm Wide Port
Ikelite housing with dome lens

Many thanks for your help

Seamusv

Re: Canon G10 housing and WA lens adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 17:03:24 UTC »
I just got back from a week of diving with my new g10 and OEM housing.  www.seamusphotography.com/Utila2009 I don't think anybody makes a wide angle for this housing.  If you find one I'd love to know about it. 

You can't beat this housing for the price, but I do have a couple of complaints.  There isn't a control knob for the thumb wheel on the back of the camera.  It makes it tough to adjust in shutter or aperature priority mode.  I haven't figured out a work around yet. 

The housing seems to add quite a bit of lag time to the shutter release.  I think this is because the connection flexes, so it is not so much lag time as having to push down hard on the shutter release. 

Compared to my other canon housing(sd700), this one is very large relative to the camera.  Which means it is very buoyant.  I like my housing to be just slightly buoyant so that if I drop it overboard it doesn't drop to the bottom.  Canon makes some weights for this which I'm planning to buy.

All in all I'm happy with the housing, but it has its limitations.  I haven't used the other housings, so I can't comment on them

tecnodoc

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 17:46:55 UTC »
Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the OEM housing and then decided to buy the FISH EYE housing with the wide angle lens (cannnot wet mount it though).

The canon OEM husing needs in fact 4 weights to be neutrally boyant, therefore use 3 of them in your case. They are sold in a box of 4 for a ridiculous 40 CAD. A real rip-off for what they are however they are essential and will make your life easier.
I'll let you know how the wide angle lens works when it try it in May.

dleepenn

• Travel Photographs by D. Lee Penn
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 16:03:22 UTC »
For my G10 images, see
http://www.dlpco.com/2009StVincent/index.htm

I use an Inon Strobe with a home made bracket.  With the strobe, the whole setup is slightly negative buoyant and I like it that way.  An external strobe hugely increases the quality of underwater images.

I think I was able to adjust ALL the knobs on the camera.  Was not able to press the 4 way switch tho.  I switched from still mode to video mode several times when diving.  Was fun being able to do some quick videos.

Lee

seafan

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 23:29:12 UTC »
For my G10 images, see
http://www.dlpco.com/2009StVincent/index.htm

I use an Inon Strobe with a home made bracket.  With the strobe, the whole setup is slightly negative buoyant and I like it that way.  An external strobe hugely increases the quality of underwater images.

I think I was able to adjust ALL the knobs on the camera.  Was not able to press the 4 way switch tho.  I switched from still mode to video mode several times when diving.  Was fun being able to do some quick videos.

Lee

Like the flamingo tongue!  Which Inon do you use... I just bought the S2000 for it and will be bringing it to Lembeh this December.
Life's a beach... then you dive!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.