Author Topic: O2 analyzer  (Read 5179 times)

jkgarren

• Subscriber?: yes
O2 analyzer
« on: February 04, 2009, 21:38:46 UTC »
Thought I would relate a recent experience with my Analox O2EII oxygen analyzer.  Except for battery replacement it has worked well since purchase but recently failed to calibrate on power up.  Checking the owner’s manual and the online resources of the manufacturer seemed to indicate the O2 sensor had likely exceeded normal life expectancy, but I sent an inquiry to verify my diagnosis.  Customer service responded that the sensor was indeed the likely problem and quoted $131.49 for a replacement which I ordered from the US distributor in Huntington Beach, California.   The sensor arrived promptly and was an easy replacement, after installing it the analyzer was powered up and seemed to calibrate normally, I analyzed 4 tanks of Nitrox and felt confident the sensor had repaired my problem.  After the next dive trip however I again powered up the O2EII and once again in would not calibrate.  I disassembled the analyzer to verify the sensor connection and battery condition, but could find no problem so again sent a message to customer service.  The US representative responded suggesting I return the analyzer for inspection which I did by mail the following day.
About a week later I received an e-mail from the repair department in the UK explaining my analyzer would not even turn on when they received it and telling me it could not be repaired even though it is identical to current production models.  They offered to sell me a new one and discount the price paid by the amount of the recently purchased O2 sensor.
While this might seem fair at first, research quickly determined the price quoted  exceeded those offered by local dive shops and online retailers by about $80. When questioned about the price Analox refused to budge and would not refund the money paid for the replacement sensor stating it is a consumable part.  Rather than purchase another O2EII which seems to be a throw away item that cannot be repaired I elected to cut my loss and purchased an OxyCheq Expedition.

DowningB

• Underwater photographer?: no
Re: O2 analyzer
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:12:56 UTC »
Ouch.

So far so good for my Analox O2EII, but I hate to think of it as a throwaway.

Thanks for the info.

Diverjim3483

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 14:24:03 UTC »
I have the following questions about this:

How long have you owned it?  How long is the warranty?  Is the battery user replaceable?  Did they try a new battery before pronouncing it DOA?

If the unit is out of warranty, I would think the company would sell you a new one for the price of the consumable component.  Anything more than that and they are not supporting their product very well.

JMHO
Jim

jkgarren

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 14:56:02 UTC »
The analyzer was about 5 years old, and well out of warranty,  the battery is user replaceable using a common 9 volt battery.  I tested the battery with a digital volt meter prior to return and it was above 9 volts, the display did illuminate at that time, but as mentioned it would not calibrate. 
I have no idea if the manufacturer checked the battery, their reply just said it was completely dead when they tried it.  As indicated I had already paid over $130 for a replacement O2 sensor, they offered to discount a new unit by that amount since they presumably could not repair mine, the price they wanted for a  new one was so high however I felt I was not getting any consideration whatsoever.  (Well above retail at local shops and online)
The Oxy Cheq  I purchased to replace the anyalyzer was only $50 more than the price they wanted for exchange, and replacement O2 sensors for it are half the price of those for the O2EII.  So far it functions perfectly, future customer service is still of course anyones guess. :D

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.