Author Topic: Short trips in the US?  (Read 3318 times)

pskippy

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Short trips in the US?
« on: February 03, 2009, 13:55:41 UTC »
My dive buddy and I live in Chicago and like to take long weekends to get in a couple of days of diving when we can.  We look for a place that is a direct flight from Chicago and in the US.  We have been going to the Florida Keys, a thoroughly enjoyable dive experience, but are looking for a little diversity.  We spent a week in North Carolina but the drive to the Outer Banks from the airport makes this a more than a long weekend trip.  I have been reading about diving oil platforms off shore from Houston but not sure of the logistics.

Does anyone have suggestions for a trip that we could take in the US that fits this criteria?

Thanks

Dave K

pjayjarrett

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Short trips in the US?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 21:03:45 UTC »
I have done the flower garden trip out of Texas and they usually do some rigs. I think rig diving is great, but wouldn't want ot burn the whoel trip from chicago doing just that.  so for rigs and some typical carribean diving, this trip is good.  It's a liveaboard (MV Fling or MV Spree).  good crew and good value, only problem is that the weather can cancle you trip.

During the winter months the same crew does some short live aboard trips with the same boats to the Dry tortugas, might want to check that out. here is their site http://www.spreeexpeditions.com/

Other rig diving alternatives are out of LA and MS areas

Also, I find the diving out of either Panama City or Ft lauderdale (or lauderdale by the sea) to be excellent and great value0

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.