Author Topic: Indonesia Dive Trip Advice Wanted  (Read 11501 times)

tholland

• Subscriber?: yes
Indonesia Dive Trip Advice Wanted
« on: February 01, 2009, 17:06:43 UTC »
Hello All!
I'm planning a 'big dive trip' to Indonesia in Spring 2010.  I'm looking for advice on best locations/live aboard/land based operations (including things to try and avoid).

Please feel free to suggest an itinerary that would run 4 weeks in Indonesia.
thanks!

Anthony

katypage

Re: Indonesia Dive Trip Advice Wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 22:25:19 UTC »
I recommend you go to Kunkungan Bay Resort in North Sulawesi, it is all macro but amazing.

aodiver

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 18:33:03 UTC »
I did a trip to Wakatobi - it was incredible to say the least - there are other options in Sulawesi that are less expensive - but for my $$ and time I would go back to Wakatobi in a heartbeat.  From the cottages/food/diving/photo area/staff -  top notch.   

Wayan123

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 23:59:10 UTC »
In four weeks you can see a lot.

Start in Bali do a few days and then catch a flight to Labuan Bajo and spend 7-10 days there on a live-a-board.  Back to Bali another few days and head up to Manado and spend the rest of the time there with some in Lembeh and some on the other side of the peninsular (lembeh is critters the othe side wallls, corals and schooling fish.)

ikan

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 22:54:45 UTC »
Start with Bali, then Komodo and Raja Ampat (R4) liveaboards or even better Raja Ampat-Misool-Halmahera trip depending on your dates. Bunaken is good but not comparable those 3 places. Lembeh strait is a shadow of what it was due to resort proliferation/diver pressure. Wakatobi is overrated and the resort overexpensive.
Have been diving Indonesia since 1991. Over last 8 years have done about 17 trips with Grand Komodo Tours, www.komodoalordive.com, they have 5 "boutique" liveaboards for a small number of divers and the best price/quality of service ratio in Indonesia. They can put together your whole trip including hotels, local flights, side trips etc at very good price and are great at handling the problems with flight cancellations/changes  or other problems that always may arise in Indonesia.
Graham Abbott at www.diving4images also can put together a personalized trip for you to any area of Indonesia, his specialty is catering to photographers and "critter" dives. Went on recent trip w him from R4 to Halmahera and was impressed by his ability and enthusiasm.

Eagleray

• Undercurent Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Total Dves: Over 1000
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:25:01 UTC »
Grand Komodo appears to be having serious website troubles at this time, so I suggest contacting them some other way if you can't get thru.  Note they also are marketing using the name Dive Paradise Indonesia.  You might email them (info@dive-paradise-indonesia.com), or do a web search for them and look at some of their offerings on other websites such as Dive Discovery, Reef & Rainforest, or others.  

[Update 2009/07/01 -- their website difficulties appear to be over -- try http://www.komodoalordive.com ]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 23:13:18 UTC by Eagleray »
Please post forum support questions/problems in the Forum Feedback board

luca

• Subscriber?: no
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 23:28:22 UTC »
Hi Tholland,
check our website at www.eco-divers.com. I am based in Manado in Kima Bajo Resort at just 25 min by boat from the Bunaken Marine Park. Around our place we have both the deep walls with great corals and sites with lots of macro critters. By the way The lembeh strait and Kunkungan Bay Resort are managed by us and you can dive both places in the same holiday. ;)

Travelnsj

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:22:20 UTC »
I've been to a few places in Indonesia. I have a 3 week trip planned this November if I could add a week I would do this routing.....Bali, Lembeh Straits, Bangka and Raja Ampat. In Raja I have stayed at Sorido resort and going back a third time. Also look at a good LOB in that area...I've always heard good things about the Seven seas...and The Antares is going to start up next year. Other places to consider are Ambon or East Timor. I have been to Wakatobi....one of the finest dive ops you will find....just the diving IMO about a C to C+...many better places to go in Indo.
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

medas2005

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 19:12:23 UTC »
I have spent a week at Lembeh Resort.  Outstanding macro, probably the best in the world.  Definitely a true dive resort with very nice rooms and great service.
I have spent a week at Gangaa Resort.  Also outstanding resort.  A bit more upscale that Lembeh and more general purpose with spa and a great pool  More of a family place.  The diving was very good and a bit more variety than Lembeh
I have spent a week in Ambon.  Highly recommend it.  Almost as good of macro as Lembeh and you are the only ones in the water.  Beautiful reefs in Palau Tiga.
I have spent two weeks on the SevenSeas liveaboard in Komodo.  One of the two best liveaboards I have ever been on.  Diving in Komodo is fantastic as well.
I have spent a week in Bali.  Got to see mantas and mola mola fish.  Very nice. 
I am planning a trip next March to RA and Triton Bay on the Dive Damai boat.

albydamai

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 03:41:17 UTC »
Hi Anthony:
Please, allow us to intoduce our operation(www.dive-damai.com) to you as one of the many alternatives to enjoy Indo.
In general one could expect good seas and visibility around March, April and May; it is in between monsoon seasons and the winds are calmer, a good time anywhere you decide to dive in Indonesia, you cannot go wrong...great diving all over. It might depend a bit on your preferences when it comes down to the kind of diving you want: wide angle, big fish, critters etc

DavidWarshaw

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:06:30 UTC »
My wife and I have been to Wakatobi three times... it's that good.  We did the Palagian on one of the trips, which was excellent.  We're on the S/Y Siren next week in the Komodo area, and I'll let you know about that.

divewench

• Absolute Scuba Bali
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 03:56:35 UTC »
Check out our websites:

www.absolute-scuba-indonesia.com
www.bali-absolute-scuba.com
www.padang-bai-beach-resort.com
www.bali-beach-resort.com

We are a 24 room dive resort set in Padang Bai, East Bali.  We can custom a tailor made package to suit your needs.

Email me through the website links with any questions.

Hope to see you soon
Immerse in salt water, rinse, repeat, often.
The wetter the better!!

http://www.absolute-scuba-indonesia.com
http://www.padang-bai-beach-resort.com
http://www.bali-beach-resort.com
http://www.bali-absolute-scuba.com
Skype message name: absolute-padangbai-reservations

jblake555

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 18:54:05 UTC »
I just completed a 30 day stay in Indonesia in August 2009.

I did the first 10 days on "The Pelagian" live aboard associated with the Wakatobi Resort. It is the most lavish live aboard boat I've ever been on. Pricey but worth every dime! Mostly wall diving and some muck diving. Don't miss the Manadarin fish dive. You'll need excellent buoyancy control or you'll get stuck by the many sea urchines!

I did a couple day dives with land based Aqua-Marine. What a cattle boat! We were "supposed" to see the Mola-Mola -NOT!!! and on the 1st dive at Manta Point there were six other boats very close together. From what I saw I would never go out on another day boat from Bali.

After that I took a 10 day live aboard on the Komodo Siren. Some wild and Wooley diving! Big Currents on Pinnacle dives. Only for advanced divers with strong leg kicks or you'll be on the way to the Philippines!! Fantastic muck diving too! You'll see a lot of bizarre creatures if you look closely.

selena

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 09:16:43 UTC »
Hi all

Last time i had visited indonesia with my friends and lot of enjoy with friends , had a wonderful trip
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:20:56 UTC by Eagleray »

kadekdiver

• Dive Center
  • Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 02:03:54 UTC »
Hello.. we are from wicked diving.. If you want to best Dive spot in Komodo we can accomodate you to make it true. With experience and certificate dive guide. for more info you can visit Komodo Dive Center or directly go to http://wickeddiving.com/

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.