Author Topic: LIONFISH!  (Read 6025 times)

bawana

• Subscriber?: yes
LIONFISH!
« on: January 23, 2009, 18:46:01 UTC »
JUST TO LET EVERONE KNOW THAT I SPOTTED AND PHOTOGRAPHED A LIONFISH OFF THE S.E. WALL OF GLOVER'S REEF ATOLL WHILE DIVING WITH ISLA MARISOL DIVERS ON JAN.21st WE CONTACTED REEF AND THE MARINE BIOLIGSTS IN BELIZE AND WERE TOLD THAT THIS IS THE SECOND LIONFISH SPOTTED IN BELIZE AND THE FIRST PHOTO VERIFICATION JUST LIKE DOC SAID THEY ARE SPREADING LIKE WILD FIRE ACROSS THE GULF OF MEXICO.  BAWANA

craigwood

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: LIONFISH!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 15:07:21 UTC »
Very interesting and dismaying. I recently found an interesting website with up to date background information and information on sitings: http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=963
It appears a Lionfish was first photographed in Belize in December.

A juvenile Lionfish was caught off Little Cayman in Feb 2008. I have heard from a very reliable source on Grand Cayman that at least 3 Lionfish have been spotted. I would imagine confirmation will come soon. Continued bad news regarding spread of this invasive species.

Good diving, Craig

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:41:03 UTC »
Yup, lionfish indeed are in the Caymans.

One found off the Soto Trader last week is now in a tank at the Central Caribbean Marine Institute at Little Cayman and environmental officials are rounding up one or two more.

Amazing.

blacktip

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 16:02:54 UTC »
Lisa Mitchell and REEF have been working on this for a while. Go to www.reef.org for more and expert commentary

bawana

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 18:43:47 UTC »
I got ahold of REEF as soon as the lionfish was found,filled out the form and supplied a photo.Yes this info needs to be documented. Thanks Bawana

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.