Author Topic: Palau before/after OH3 suggestions  (Read 6448 times)

bb

• Subscriber?: yes
Palau before/after OH3 suggestions
« on: January 19, 2009, 16:07:33 UTC »
Eight of us are diving the Ocean Hunter 3 late in March.  We have a full day before boarding OH3 and another day before our 1am flight departure.
Any suggestions on lodging?
How/where/what to explore and enjoy in Palau?  Kayaking?  Hikes?
Resturants not to miss?
Anything else you would like to share?
Thanks
BB

mjarens

• Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Palau before/after OH3 suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 02:30:03 UTC »
Wonderful Indian restaurant in Koror.  The name is Taj, and it is on the main road, in the center of town, upstairs on the second floor - outdoor staircase.  So good, I ate dinner there two nights in a row.

mjarens
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:33:51 UTC by mjarens »

Diverjim3483

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 14:25:46 UTC »
The nicest resort is the Palau Beach Resort aka PBR.  It is a very nice resort.  As far as before/after boarding; we contacted Sam's Tours who sent us brochures on all of their day trips.  We chose the German Channel tour.  It was a combination kayak, hiking trip lead by one of their knowledgeable guides.  The kayak trip was very relaxing and enjoyable.  The hike was over some rugged and sometimes muddy paths so I would wear sandals.  I wore the typical aqua-hiking footwear which was perfect.  The path along the trip to the top where the old light house was located were several relics left behind by the Japanese in WWII consisting of artillery, caves, concrete footings where Japanese soldiers were housed, etc.  It was interesting but yet we were glad when it was over.

If you don't plan on an activity while you await your departure back, I would check with PBR about a day pass.  You can even pay for a room or two to keep all your luggage in, rest, shower, etc.  Mainly, you can take advantage of all of the amenities of the resort while you await your taxi to the airport that night.

We loved our trip to Palau.  We chose the Aggressor for our trip.  But the diving is all the same.....and world class I might add.  I did 23 dives and saw multiple sharks on every dive. 

bb

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 17:23:37 UTC »
Mjarens:  Thank you for the Taj recommendation.  I've heard good things about it elsewhere.

Diverjim3483:  We are set up with Sam's Tours for a Risong Bay (they all sound so good it was hard to decide) kayak tour the day before we board OH3 and will have a land tour of Peleliu and battle fields while nearby on the OH3.  Enjoying a beach sounds good but will need activity before our flights returning to Denver via Tokyo. 
Good thing I like sharks!
BB   

Diverjim3483

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 18:44:23 UTC »
I'm sure it will be just as much fun and adventurous as our expedition was.  Oh, we did the Peleiu guided tour as well.  You will see the abandoned airfields used by US to launch attacks against neighboring occupied areas; abandoned Japanese tanks and artillery; a memorial to all of the servicemen who lost their lives on the island.  Then, you will tour a museum that's full of US and Japanese weapons, equipment and apparel worn by soldiers, etc.  It was quite interesting and educational, especially if your are a WWII historian as I am.  Hopefully, you will also have a chance to dive on Orange beach.  Orange beach was where the amphibious assault by the US landed on the island.  You will see the rusted remains of all kinds of landing craft, weapons, shells, bombs, etc.  Of course, they tell you to NOT touch anything.  I have a u/w photo of a scorpion fish with its gills flared out while it was sitting atop of a bandoleer of encrusted 50 caliber machine gun rounds.  I wish I were going with you.  I would do it all again in a minute.

Jim

jpierred

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 14:44:47 UTC »
I'm planning on a trip to Palau March 2009 for 2 weeks: one week live aboard and one on land. I'm flying from the East Coast.   I'm really interesting to dive on the wrecks.
In term of extending the trip, as it's such a long destination, where would you recommend to stop for few days or go for another week.

Thanks,

Diverjim3483

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:33:20 UTC »
If wreck diving is your goal, you will want to extend your trip and go over to Truk to dive.  While there are wrecks around Palau, its nothing compared to Truk lagoon.

bb

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 00:26:27 UTC »
Sorry for the delay replying, I returned home with severe Barotrauma and an ear infection.
If you want wrecks, dive Truck.  We dove a few but the soft corals were more interesting than the wrecks.
Palau is beautiful.  You can kayak for a day or a week, drive around the larger island Babeldaob, see the battle sites of Peleliu, visit some of the cultural sites, watch a local baseball match or hang out at the gorgeour PPR.
The flight back east is a killer.  Many recommend spending a few nights in Hawaii on the return.  Otherwise, Ambien helps but be prepared to be worthless for a few days after you return.
I will be posting a review of Sam's Tours (day boat diving and kayaking) and the Ocean Hunter 3 soon.
BB

Diverjim3483

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 00:40:05 UTC »
x2 on the return trip.  I was pretty much worthless for a whole week after the trip back....and we were in First Class both ways.

The real key is getting as much sleep as possible during the day of the departure.  If I recall, the flight left Palau at 2:00 AM or something like that.  We had to get off the Aggressor by 8:00 AM.  We did not get a room at PBR but another hotel where we had partied on the day or arrival a week before.  So we thought we would do it again.  Right!!!!!

We were exhausted AND then we had to go to the airport that night and didn't sleep well for another 20 hours.....  I get tired just thinking about it.

What I would do if I ever went back would be to stay a whole day at PBR getting some good rest before the return trip.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.