Author Topic: Need Help Planning 1 week Philippines & 1 Week Palau Dive Trip  (Read 5650 times)

shontellee13

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
I'm starting to get overwhelmed with reading all the info on Philippines diving.  Too many islands, too many dive sites and resorts, too many awesome pictures...To those who have dived there, could you narrow it down to 3 "not to be missed places to dive" that can be done in a week...

Also, for Palau, what is better: liveaboard or day trips?

Mahalo mucho!

mickey

Re: Need Help Planning 1 week Philippines & 1 Week Palau Dive Trip
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 20:20:59 UTC »
The August 2008 Undercurrent main article deals with the Palau-Land or Sea issue. I'm off to the Philippines in April, and asking the same questions, so let me know what you find out. If you're going later, I'll pass along data. I'm landing in Cebu, thus looking at Moalboal, Panglao and Atlantis Dumaguete with possible Apo Island side trip. Mickey

Dane Foucher

• Dane Foucher
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 15:40:09 UTC »
I have been to the Philippines 3 separate times and have found this area to be very exciting indeed.  If you don't mind a bit rustic accommodations, I can recommend Club Ocelaris just south west of the Batangas area.  You will find muck diving as good as the Lembeh Straits (ie. devilfish, pygmy seahorse, all the different scorpionfish, nudis of all kinds, flamboyant cuttlefish, frogfish of all types, mimic octopus, etc.) and several good reef dives with some current.  If, on the other hand, you prefer more human comforts (Air conditioning), you can see many of these same critters at either Atlantis Puerto Galera (just opposite Batangas) or Atlantis Dumaguette.  In Puerto Galera, the two dives "NOT TO BE MISSED" are the Canyons (wild currents but worth the ride) and Washing Machine off Verde Island where the coral and fishlife are truly awesome.  In Dumaguette, without a doubt the best add on dive is the trip to APO ISLAND where the Coconut Point and Rock Point were absolutely fantastic drift dives over pristine hard and soft corals, great vis, and all kinds of fishlife.

As for the Palau trip, I did the Ocean Hunter liveaboard several years ago and loved it.  You can, of course, stay on land and do day trips out to the reefs, but the liveaboards get you out to the outer islands (Peleliu, etc.) and Ulong Channel, German Channel, and of course Blue Corner are dives "NOT TO BE MISSED" here.

Diverjim3483

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 14:34:02 UTC »
Can't help you with the Phillipines, but regarding Palau.....

I guess you'll have to ask yourself, why am I going there?  Why am I traveling to the other side of the planet.  For me, the answer to that question was "to dive the world class waters I have heard so much about."

I was not disappointed in my decision to book the Palau Aggressor.  I've been on quite a few liveaboards and of them all the Palau Aggressor was the best in practically every way.

That said, if I were to give consideration to a land based resort, I would have to consider the Dolphin Bay resort on the island of Peleliu.  While you will miss some of the dive sites capable on a liveaboard, you will have many excellent dives to choose from.  I have no idea of the cost to stay at that resort.

When comparing a liveaboard to a land based trip, be sure you compare all costs: to include food, lodging, diving, cost of transportation if land based, etc.  You stated in another post that a liveaboard was twice the cost of a land based trip.  I think if you take everything into your comparison and compare like accommodations.  You would really have to scrimp for a land based trip to be half the cost of a liveaboard. 

You are in for a treat regardless of your choice. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 14:50:30 UTC by Diverjim3483 »

evsvit

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 22:36:47 UTC »
For the Philippines - I would recommend Flower Beach Resort in Bohol. http://www.flower-beach.com . All kinds of creatures you can find in those waters, even a whale shark (seasonal). Climate is not very hot, just nice. Owners are very hospitable. Food is good. Although - there is no such thing as "hitting bars" in that area: it's a rural island. But there are still day tours with tourist attractions.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.