Author Topic: Cozumel-Diving with Del Mar Aquatics?  (Read 7629 times)

Airhead52

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Cozumel-Diving with Del Mar Aquatics?
« on: January 08, 2009, 22:52:31 UTC »
After many years away from Coz, my wife and I are returning  for a week in April, 2009 .  We are interested in anyone's opinion of Del Mar Aquatics as dive operators, and the hotel Casa Del Mar.  I know how many posts there are for Cozumel, and have read most of them, but this operation may be just right for our tastes if all is as it seems.  I didn't see any recent posts on Undercurrent, but someone must have knowledge to share.  Thanks, Airhead52
Most Baby Boomers Look Better In a Wetsuit!

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Cozumel-Diving with Del Mar Aquatics?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:50:11 UTC »
Hi Airhead52,

Del Mar Aquatics has been around for a long time and is safe and reputable. This notwithstanding, it is not generally considered among the top tier of dive ops on CZM.

You might wish to consider Liquid Blue (http://liquidbluedivers.com/; tell Michaela "Doc" sent you), Living Underwater (http://www.living-underwater.com/, tell Jeremy "Doc" sent you) and Aldora (http://www.aldora.com/).

Regards,

DocVikingo

Airhead52

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 21:42:00 UTC »
Thanks DocV for the references...We've pre-paid for only four days of diving in an 8-day vacation with the thought of trying other ops while on the island.  Our intention is to return to Cozumel more frequently in the future, so this is a chance to re-familiarize ourselves.  Haven't been back since 1990.  I've seen the high-rise hotels from Playa, though.  Oh well.   
    We'll file a report for the readers after we return.   Joe Williams  (Airhead 52).

videodiver

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:40:46 UTC »
The last time we were there we had a great time with them. That is the only place our local dive shop uses when they take groups to CZM.
Have a good time,
 Videodiver

Airhead52

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 19:47:42 UTC »
  Thanks Videodiver!  The more comments I hear, like yours, the more my confidence builds in their operation, including the hotel as a destination.  Believe me, we are noticing the news events of late in continental Mexico, but I think Cozumel will be safe, and they will be glad to see us Yankees arrive.  Airhead 52.

videodiver

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 23:07:50 UTC »
I know your concern about Mexico. My wife is a little squeamish, we are going to Mahahual in April, it is a 4 1/2 hour drive south of Cancun. I think everything is fine there, looks like most of the problems are in the big cities and the border towns.
Happy bubbles,  :D :D
Videodiver

Airhead52

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 22:20:19 UTC »
  Agreed....smuggling and drug traffic at the US border are at the root of the problems.   I have more recently been to Akumal and Playa Del Carmen, and nothing but international tourism going on there.  Playa has a slight reputation after dark outside of the Fifth Avenue area, but nothing common sense can't protect you from.  We plan to make a day trip (or two) via ferry from Cozumel to Playa to shop, see the Mayan ruins again (Coba), etc.   I don't anticipate any restrictions, but we'll check with the folks at Casa Del Mar and write it up in a trip report posted with Undercurrent when we return.  Have a good trip!  Airhead.

gusdog

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 00:09:33 UTC »
if you are driving down to Mahjual don't be suprised if you run into a military "reten" or two.  Very normal nowdays.  Nothing to be bothered by. 

ktdiveloco

• WooooooooHooooooooo!!!!!!!
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 17:38:32 UTC »
I would love to hear from more people on del mar aquatics.  I am planning on going in a month and am curious about things like being able to dive computer/profile, safety issues and how a single female travling alone will fare.  Thanks for anyone else who has thoughts on aquatics.
KT

Airhead52

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 16:22:21 UTC »
  Look for a posting here and a trip report after Easter week-end, when My wife and I return!   Airhead 52

Airhead52

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 14:14:59 UTC »
Hey KTDIVELOCO, be sure to check out the posting of a trip report to Casa Del Mar by Steve and Cathy Mason just this month.  Although they did not dive with Del Mar Aquatics, (Dive With Martin), they did report favorably on the Casa Del Mar resort.  Their trip report appears in Mexico/Cozumel reports.
  We'll be leaving this week for our much anticipated vacation, and I intend to not only dive with Del Mar, but follow DocV's advice and seek out one of his recommendations posted above for later next week diving.   Happy bubbling.  Airhead 52

ktdiveloco

• WooooooooHooooooooo!!!!!!!
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 16:33:04 UTC »
Thanks ... will be leaving in the morning (4/1) and arriving Casa Del Mar in the afternoon.  Email me privately and we'll swap dive stories over steaks one evening.
KT

VivaCaribe

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 14:00:10 UTC »
I agree with the three operators Doc V recommended, above. They have good, fast boats, use steel 120 tanks, quality DMs, and attract more serious divers, on average. Especially LivingUnderwater. 
They charge a little more, but given the overall cost of the trip, that will be insignificant.   

Airhead52

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 21:45:18 UTC »
Thanks for the information (to everyone).   We just returned, had a great trip, and due to weather conditions on Tuesday, and the fact that we took Monday off to go over to PDC, we were left with two more pre-paid days with Del Mar Aquatics.   No regrets whatsoever with this operation, and we paid another day with them on Friday, our last day.   Kudo's to Renay and Del Mar Aquatics for a great tour of the reef, and a professional experience for our vacation!   Airhead 52
  (I'll post a trip report later in the week).

cousteau8389

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 03:11:12 UTC »
I have stayed and dived with Scuba Club Cozumel a couple times. I love the place! If you check them out on Tripadvisor.com, you will see they get great reviews. They use huge boats compared to the others and the dive crew is very stable (same guys every year). Raymundo at the dive center is wonderful. Good failities, but warning-no tv or phone in your room

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.