Author Topic: to book or not in the Keys  (Read 4127 times)

courteau

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
to book or not in the Keys
« on: December 18, 2008, 01:44:47 UTC »
Hi,
We will be diving the Florida keys for the first time at the end of April.
Is it preferable to book the dives in advance, are the boats full at that time of year?
Or could we just go to Key Largo in the morning and be reasonably sure to find place?
Also, would a skin plus 1mm hooded vest be enough neoprene for end of April?

Thank you,

ldg7

Re: to book or not in the Keys
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 14:20:00 UTC »
Hi,
You probably don't have to book, but it would not hurt to give the resorts of your choice, mine would be Ocean Divers in Key Largo, a call and ask them, just in case.  The older I get, the more I need at least a 3mil at that time of the year.  Have a good time.

craigwood

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 16:39:37 UTC »
I also use Ocean Divers, see my Undercurrent reports. I reserve my spots in advance just to make sure I don't get closed out of a dive I want. The weekend wreck dives I like sometimes fill up. The water temperature at the end of April will likely be in the mid to upper 70s. I would wear at least a full 3mm and always take a hood. There is a link to the Molasses Reef Buoy on the Ocean Divers website that is very useful regarding the water temp. I just returned Tuesday from 3 days and 10 dives. The water temp was 73-75 degrees, I was very comfortable in a 5mm and a 3mm hood.

Enjoy, Craig

ssasi929

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 22:45:16 UTC »
You might want to also check out Island Ventures in Key Largo if you like a smaller crowd and personal attention. Their motto is "no stress diving" and they mean it. www.Islandventure.com--no s at the end of venture.

mspdiver

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 01:32:52 UTC »
I dive the keys every year.  I like Rainbow Reef if you care to have a free dive guide.  They have two boats right in the main marina.  Quick trips to Ocean.  They have a great web site - rainbowreef.us.  They also have a shop in Islamorada.  Less crowded good marine life- Eagle wreck.  I also recomend Conch Republic.  Great boats, Capt. Gary Mace is top notch.  You pay a little more for this place but they are attentative to your needs.  While you down there I suggest Hobos and Chilie Willies for good eats.  Check Wahoos for seafood specials.  Have an excellent trip.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.