Author Topic: Sea and Sea  (Read 5242 times)

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Sea and Sea
« on: December 17, 2008, 18:02:23 UTC »
 >:( >:(I bought a new 12 pixel sea and sea camera and housing.. I read the manual and it states that the "built in flash is insufficient when used with the housing". I tested it in my living room and they're right. This was not mentioned in their on line ads anywhere,,, now I know point and shoots work better with strobes,,,I don't want a strobe,,been there done that!,, so I'm just lettin' ya know if your lookin' for a little camera for your bc pocket, don't buy this one. By the way, I just sent it back.

• Claire's & Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography
Re: Sea and Sea
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 01:23:57 UTC »
Well, I understand your frustration - this is basically false advertising.  But my dive buddy uses a point-and-shoot with strobes and gets some pretty fantastic pictures - we've just returned from Cozumel and had it not been for his little point-and-shoot we wouldn't have any pics of this fabulous Splendid Toadfish - my macro SLR wouldn't work at all although I did get one good shot, but it was his PAS that did the yeoman's work on this setting.  He also gets fabulous seascape shots.  We just got back tonite - but check out our San Salvador gallery which are almost all his PAS shots.  We are both just learning, but with the strobe he does beautiful work.  He has an Ikelite housing with Ikelite strobes and he gets fabulous shots.  I do the macro stuff and love that, but can't do the big stuff with my camera. 

I know you sent yours back, but think about some nice housing and strobes (TTL - through the lens - which means they have a cord to the camera so that the camera - not a flash of light- will tell the strobes when to shoot - it's the only way to go).

Hope this helps.....our San Salvador gallery is here and our new Cozumel gallery will be up in a couple of days - hundreds of pics to go through!!!

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:30:32 UTC »
I have had a sea & sea dx1g with a pair of ys110 strobes about a year now and am very happy with them. Prior, I shot ambient light video for over 10 years (sony & amphibico rig) and recognized that no strobes means shallow still shots only (less than 30 feet down). My video rig could pull in enough light down to 60 feet (video is less demanding).

So if you are SERIOUS about stills, you need strobes. In general onboard flash won't work because of back scatter. If you want to shoot macro, you need 2 strobes to get balanced lighting.

If all you want is happy snaps, then the new generation of strobeless point and shoot cameras are great! I have seen lots of excellent photos come from these types of cameras over the last few years. The price point is also great. Just don't expect to get deep, wide angle, macro or night shots with them.

• Indigo Dive, St. Vincent.
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 14:23:12 UTC »
I have been shooting with Sea and Sea, first with the 8 mega pixel D8000 (which sadly flooded after a botched o'ring change  :-[) and then for the past year or so with DX1G combo.

I hated using the flash in the beginning, it really frustrated me... A LOT! But a visiting photographer friend told me 'light is life', and advised me to persevere. I'm so glad I did. I have a very battered looking Sea and Sea YS25 which has served me very well.

What ever camera set up you move to you will eventually have to bite the bullet and play with lighting, or you will never be able to progress past the underwater holiday snap.

Take a look at this shows just what can be achieved with a point and shoot. Some are shot using ambient light, others with the help of a stobe (singular).

You might also want to look at or both sites are packed full with helpful info.

If all else fails most dive shops run UW photography classes, and half an hours tuition will usually help to get grips with lighting issues.

Happy snapping!

Kay Wilson,
Indigo Dive.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include French Polynesia Master Liveaboard!.