Author Topic: Safety Balloon  (Read 4147 times)

helldw

• Subscriber?: yes
Safety Balloon
« on: December 06, 2008, 15:48:55 UTC »
A few years ago, I heard about a safety device that consisted of a silver coated balloon, like the birthday type, and a gas (Helium?) cartridge that would inflate the balloon and allow the balloon to rise to approximately 100ft, teethered by a light string.  At the time I thought this would be a great device but felt that airlines would not allow the gas cartage on the plane.  Since then I never heard another word.  Has anyone heard about the same device?  Does it exist?  And what is it's current status?

gusdog

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Safety Balloon
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 18:38:39 UTC »
LONG TIME ago i saw the prototype at DEMA when it was in Houston 15 or more years ago.  On the face of it the idea seemed good but if you sat back and thought about it well there were some problems.  It was not a well made system and often if you are going to be lost by the boat its because the surface conditions are not so good.  Sending up a balloon in a strong wind just did not make that much sense.  Since then you have various things out there.  I think it was an idea that was floated (so to speak) and just died. 

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.