Author Topic: DOMINICA  (Read 5303 times)

florida1007

• Subscriber?: yes
DOMINICA
« on: December 06, 2008, 10:51:46 UTC »
We are considering Dominica for our 2009 Spring dive trip.  In reading reports, several recommend the south for diving.  Can anyone recommend accommodations and a dive operator?  Thank you. Becky

indigodive

• Indigo Dive, St. Vincent.
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: DOMINICA
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 18:49:17 UTC »
Becky - how many in your group? This is important as some of the smaller operators provide a much more personalised service, but their boats can only accommodate smaller numbers.

I have stayed at Fort Young in Roseau, it is comfortable however I would not stay there again as the dive shop is not on site, and I found the hotel to be more suited to business travellers. (I would recommend though as the breakfast buffet was lovely!).

The dive shops that I used whilst in Dominica were Dive Dominica and Cabrits Dive.

Dive Dominica has large catamaran style boats, the crew are friendly and accommodating, but the service is impersonal and the dive sites are determined by the day of the week (or so it seemed).  I preferred the diving in the South personally, but don't believe the hype about Champagne Reef, it's OK, but no where near as spectacular as I was lead to believe.

I have heard really good things about Nature Island, they are photographers themselves, and know what it is you expect, so if I may, I would suggest touching base with them to see if they can assist you.

The scenary in Dominica is stunning, so make sure that you fit in some time for land tours, and pack your hiking boots as the trials are worth it!

Hope that you enjoy your visit to Dominica.

Kay Wilson,
Indigo Dive.

florida1007

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 21:25:50 UTC »
Thank you for the response Kay.  There will probably be 3-4 divers, so our group is relatively small.  I'll check out Nature Island.  Appreciate the information.  Becky

nick arismendi

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:27:20 UTC »
December of 07 we stayed in Dominica with Nature Island Dive (NID), great outfit! They can set up everything for you from car rental to accommodations. All of the southern dive sites are within 10 minutes of their shop so they return between dives, which makes it quite relaxing. They understand a photographer's needs and will assist you in insuring you can get great photographs. Be aware of the weight limitations when you fly 44lbs or you will have issues with the desk clerks on you way out. That was the only hassle on an otherwise wonderful trip. Best of luck!

aquahut

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 22:38:00 UTC »
Hi, Dominica is truly a Nature lover's  dream come true.Probably  the greenest  lushest island in the Caribbean. We've gone there every year for the last 10 and will continue to do so. Underwater the corals and crinoids are as colorful as can be. Don't expect a lot of big fish unless you count the whales on the whale watching trips. But every time I've gone there I've found some creature or fish I've never seen before.  Batfish,flying gunards,snake eels , Octopi, seahorses,frog fish ,assorted nudibranchs, mantis shrimp, Multicolored see urchins,bubble anemones, orange ball corallimorphs ,and that's just  the USUAL stuff. A lot of it right in front of the resort.
We usually stay at Castle Comfort Lodge on the South end. Tried the North End once and was dissappointed compared to the South. The reason for staying at CC is unlimited free shore diving with a package. Accomodations are adequate enough. Some stay up the road about 15 minute walk at Fort Young,which has much better ambience and rooms and meals. The trade off is a slightly higher room rate but no shore diving. No the dive ops won't rent you tanks for shore diving. You must STAY at CC to shore dive.Although I believe THe Anchorage Hotel(right next doorto CC) offers a similar package to CC.  If you can and you've  got some experience see if they will take you out around the outside of Scott's Head  and into the Atlantic.if the seas are agreeable. Some beautiful sites

out there fed by the current.  That said If you're only doing 2 dives a day and touring the rain forrests in the afternoon, Fort Young might be the better choice .We've done most of the tours including boiling lake (5 hours +) and like to relax and shore dive in the afternoons right out front off the dock and just explre the shllow reefs and boulders, You never know what you'll find!!  Don't expect 5* hotels.Closer to third world. Not much real shopping but the straw market can be fun. Stay out of town when the cruise ships come in.  Have a wonderful time .E-mail me if you have any questions.  rramar@aol.com

lucidblue

• Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 00:16:27 UTC »
Hi, Dominica is truly a Nature lover's  dream come true.Probably  the greenest  lushest island in the Caribbean. We've gone there every year for the last 10 and will continue to do so.

Hi aquahut - I'm going to Dominica at the end of the month and staying at CC. Do you have any recommendations since you have spent so much time on the island? I'm interested in best dive sites, restaurants, must see topside hikes, etc. Thanks!

indigodive

• Indigo Dive, St. Vincent.
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 15:37:30 UTC »
To the best of my knowledge shore diving is not allowed in Dominica.

The Fort Young Hotel would not be my first choice if I were to return to Dominica, primarily due to the lack of facilities on site, and the linkage with Dive Dominica... their boat collects from Fort Young then goes back to their base where you then wait for the folks staying at their property.

If you preference is for larger boats and larger groups then Dive Dominica is a great operation, the DMs are very nice.

If you are looking for a more personalised service, smaller groups then check out Nature Divers, they can also find tours and hiking guides etc...

Coming back to Fort Young, the older cheaper rooms SUCK, but of you like cramped conditions, noise from the bar, and to be woken by the staff in the laundry room (which is situated under the older rooms to the right of the bar) then you'll be happy! The newer rooms offer great views and are very comfortable, and the breakfast is great... downside don't expect to get an early breakfast, or even a cup of coffee before advertised hours. This is one of the most unflexible hotels I have ever stayed in!

It's very difficult to make recommendations as what suits one may not suit another, suffice to say if I were to go back to Dominica I would probably check out the Evergreen Hotel....

Hoep you have a great time what ever your choices turn out to be!

;)

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.