Author Topic: curacao lodging  (Read 5420 times)

hansond

• Subscriber?: yes
curacao lodging
« on: December 02, 2008, 15:31:34 UTC »
any suggestions for lodging on Curacao? we'll be traveling there for a week in jan 09.  we would like to do a lot of easy, convenient shore diving and require only basic accomodations (clean & safe)  we're looking at habitat curacao but are concerned about some of the negative reviews posted on traveladvisor since august 08 (abundance of insects, rundown facility, etc.)  any general travel advice specific to curacao would be appreciated (our previous dives have been on Aruba, key largo and thousand islands,ny.)- thank you.

aodiver

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: curacao lodging
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:21:31 UTC »
Ill be staying at All West Apartments 2nd week of January - rates include shore diving &  car. its close to 90% of the dive sites with sh ort boat time.  I have stayed at the Habitat its o.k. but prefer the lanai units so I can have a kitchen of sorts.  Look at review earlier this year  for all west -   web is www.allwestcuracao.com.  I like the choice of not having to dress when I want something to eat. ;D

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:01:08 UTC »
Hi hansond,

Sunset Waters (http://www.sunsetwaters.com/index.php) also could use a little renovation, but I like it better than Habitat.

If you don't mind being aways out of town,  Marazul Dive Resort (http://www.marazuldiveresort.an/) is excellent.

Have fun.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Nels

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 22:47:22 UTC »
We dived in Curacao in Sept. We traveled with friends so we rented a 3-BR 2-BA modern home in a gated community called Coral Estates. Habitat Curacao is in Coral Estates about 1 minute drive from rental house. Homes are modern, air conditioned, fully equipped, have pools and great views. Rates around $300/night which works out if you are traveling with friends or family and don't want to eat in restaurants every meal. See www.enchantmentvilla.com for example. Modern supermarket in Willemstad for all grocery needs. A rental car is a must. Lots of well marked shore diving within an easy drive of Coral Estates. We used Habitat's dive shop as our base of operations. Sometimes went out on their boat but mostly did shore dives including day and night shore dives in front of Habitat.

Can't say what Habitat's rooms are like but the common areas look a little the worse for wear and the restaurant operation was not great.

Airhead52

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 21:00:27 UTC »
My wife and I did stay with Habitat at curacao, inside Coral Estates the week before Labor day in 2007.   I'm aware of some negative revues, but the dive operation (Easy Divers) was exceptional.  A hurricane came through the area near the end of the week, and that was the only time I saw bugs in the room, probably reacting to the changes in air pressure, or something.  Although we only had trop. storm level bad weather in Curacao, and weren't evacuated, the hotel staff kept up the operation of the resort every day, including modifying the breakfast buffet ( semi outdoor) to keep it open, and other touches that were appreciated.  They don't usually get hurricanes that far south, so I commend the staff for their efforts. 
    If you have the bucks, I would suggest that you check out renting a villa or condo in Coral Estates, and diving with Easy Divers.   The reef out from the hotel pier is outstanding if you like shore diving and night diving.  Good Luck.
Most Baby Boomers Look Better In a Wetsuit!

Hutch

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 01:40:26 UTC »
You might try Limestone Waters  Resort (A.K.A. Limestone Holiday) a very small resort right on Spanish Waters.  The units trend toward basic but all have kitchen facilities and  when we were there in December of 2007, the prices were right and included a rental car.  The proprietors, Raul and Sylvia, simply can't be beat!

hansond

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 12:45:14 UTC »
thank you for the helpful responses :)

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.