Author Topic: Looking for a new P&S camera  (Read 5885 times)

• Subscriber?: yes
Looking for a new P&S camera
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:08:57 UTC »
Looking to upgrade Point and shoot camera.  I have been shooting a Canon A95 with Canon housing.  It has served me well.  I have a Sealife strobe that I want to continue to use.  Looking for a Canon product.  Unsure about Canon or ikelite housing.  Really enjoy stills and video mode.   Want something that I can use with a wide angle lens adapter.  Looking for large lcd screen.  Thinking along line of A570is or 710is.  Can anyone give a recommendation.  I would like to spend no more then $500.  I only get about 20 photo dives a year. 

Re: Looking for a new P&S camera
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 12:29:22 UTC »
Frankly I would not change a thing.  For 20 images per year you have a great setup.  Remember, camera does not matter, photographer does.  You (and me) just do not shoot enough underwater to be any good. It is all practice.

I used 4MP Canon A80 for years with Canon housing and then  changed to Canon A710 for IS. Pictures are not any better. I do not even own any strobs, but play with WB instead. You can see results at my website

If you insist an a new toy, look into Canon SD880 which has wide lens (28mm equivalent), pretty rare in compacts.  Canon's housing available from Adorama. Check for review.

Hope I just saved you a pile of money.
Good luck

Re: Looking for a new P&S camera
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 00:52:09 UTC »
I have a Canon G9 and housing that I love.  A G10 and housing will be more like $650, but money well spent.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include French Polynesia Master Liveaboard!.