Author Topic: Raja Ampat dangerous for Malaria?  (Read 8412 times)

masguy

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Raja Ampat dangerous for Malaria?
« on: July 08, 2008, 14:44:34 UTC »
My wife and I want to dive Raja Ampat.  Our biggest concern is malaria.  We'd be interested in hearing from folks who have been there - especially the Max Ammer land operations and how they dealt with the malaria issue.  Because I have a rare cancer that has spread to my liver, anti-malrial drugs present almost as much a danger to me as getting malria, so I am most interested in hearing from folks who have been there and have not used the drugs.

Mitch Berger

Travelnsj

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Raja Ampat dangerous for Malaria?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 16:56:08 UTC »
Mitch,

My trip report is posted on Undercurrent that I did in January. I stayed at the Sorido resort.....I think I have answered the questions about Malaria in the trip report....Take plenty of DEET!!!....I got sick on Doxy and Max said if you get Malaria you will be treated by the same Meds, asked my Doctor when I got back and she said the same thing.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:54:57 UTC by Travelnsj »
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

ellene

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 20:23:37 UTC »
Malaria is only one of a number of mosquito-borne diseases that are risks in the area, so although I took Malarone it was still most important to ensure that I consistently used a good repellent. Although I was on a liveaboard much of the time, I didn't get a single bite even during the days I was on land (and mosquitoes normally love me).

masguy

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:09:17 UTC »
Does anyone have a sense of how many fellow divers were taking preventative doses as opposed to those whe weren't?  Has anyone contracted malaria at RA? What about dive staff?

Thanks

masguy

ellene

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:00:43 UTC »
Can't answer about the dive staff, but every one of the 14 divers on my liveaboard was taking either doxy or Malarone.

jdives

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 19:44:36 UTC »
I'm of the opinion that if you're on a liveaboard, you won't need to med for malaria.  None aboard the Kararu Voyager in Raja Ampat (mostly physicians) took a preventative.  The resorts where we stayed overnight going and coming were big on spraying and we never saw a mosquito the whole trip.   If I were tramping through the jungle or staying in a laid back local's place, then I'd medicate for sure!
Life's Short -- Dive Hard!

ellene

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 21:15:36 UTC »
We did a land tour from the liveaboard I was on.  I felt more comfortable knowing that I had taken the Malarone, especially since there were lots of mosquitoes in Sorong where we overnighted.  I'm one of those people that mosquitoes seem to aim for and I'd rather be safe than sorry.  All of that said, if I were sensitive to the medications or couldn't take them for some reason, I think I'd be fine provided I used DEET consistently (which is a must anyway).

Wayan123

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 01:55:56 UTC »
I opeated a Live-aboard in R4 for a number of years and did not take any prophylaxis.  None of the guest whist onboard got malaria (cant say what happened after as it has an incubation period).  There are some natural remedies around which you might want to check out with your Dr to see if the are ok for you.....for example Artemether and Artemisin and can be used as a prophylaxis or treatment

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.