Author Topic: PNG Land Operations  (Read 4318 times)

Twodivers in NJ

• Subscriber?: yes
PNG Land Operations
« on: November 07, 2008, 12:12:12 UTC »
We're planning  a trip to PNG. Our land excursion schedule doesn't allow us to connect with any live-aboards without hanging around for 3-4 days. We're thinking of going to Tawali, which recently had some negative reports in U/C.

Has anyone heard anything new about Tawali, or had experience with Walindi or Tufi?

jdiver

Re: PNG Land Operations
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 18:48:12 UTC »
I was in Tawali for two weeks in November, ten years to the day after my last trip to the area (aboard Paradise Sport.)

1) Nice resort, decent food, well though out and picturesque.

2) Poor maintenance on boats, often insufficient boats, boats inadequately stocked (radio did not work when attempting comm with boat 2 nm away,) and safety training equipment deemed insufficient. Boat staff sometimes helpful but most just don;t care - they are paid significantly less than liveaboard crew, and are much more likely to congregate in the wheelhouse and shoot the sh** than be available for assistance or even emergencies.

3) Some nearby sites significantly deteriorated - e.g. Deacon's Reef / Dinah's Beach (Lawadi) are OK muck diving, but storms have washed the grasses away. Coral Gardens is super. Some far dive sites are not visited too often.

4) Sharks once plentiful here have been fished out - the sharkfin Mafia found out liveaboards and others were chumming sharks and cleaned them out.

5) Amazing management / staff disinterest and shortsightedness: locals throng the resort and boats, selling live-caught shells and even baited Nautilus. Staff takes no notice, does not advise guests to not purchase nor encourage locals to manufacture crafts from sustainable resources (e.g. wood) and instead tolerates growing numbers of locals pillaging the very reefs these folks depend on for dive interest!  WTF ???

I'd not return here - maybe I'd visit Loloata Island Resort again or visit Kavieng or Walindi, but Tawali is to expensive and hard to get to for what is too often mediocre diving.

My perspective? Over 50 years of diving and 32 countries, previous PNG experience.

Wassi

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 03:28:41 UTC »

I agree jdiver, you would do much better at other places in PNG. 

I think the situation with Tawali is called marketing hype.  They seemed great at first because they were 'New' and are associated with Oceanic.  Reality of working in PNG is starting to sink in.

Loloata, Walindi, Tufi are great resorts run successfully for many years and do so much to look after their staff, the local communities and the marine environment. 

If you can I highly recommend doing a combination of Loloata and Walindi.

Twodivers in NJ

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:32:30 UTC »
We've cancelled Tawali and reserved @ Tufi...... :D

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.