Author Topic: Face up BC  (Read 6928 times)

O2

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Face up BC
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:26:02 UTC »
Can anyone recommend a BC that will float you face up?

Dennis49

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Face up BC
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 02:54:18 UTC »
The best B C is the Scubapro stab jacket style, the classic or sport-classic.  I have used the stab jacket sense the 70's when it first came out.  You have compete air flow all the way around.  Side to side-front to back. It's great even underwater, you can roll over without fighting it, the air just flows to the highest spot.  Several have tried to copy it but none have ever matched it.  It's also a good travel B C, especially the sport model which isn't weight integrated, lite and compact.  When on the surface it floats you straight up, with air in front, in back and over the shoulders.  A plus is the lift, my large is rated at 55 lbs.

Anyway that my opinion.  Your diving buddy
Dennis49 

NJDIVER

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 02:51:49 UTC »
I know the Aqualung Pro QD will throw you backwards.  I dive with a plate and wing and once you learn the characteristics (all of 10 minutes) it works fine.  If your concerned about coming up and rolling face down from an incident, I'm sure there is a more serious issue at hand then being face down for a second or two?

smoore

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 20:58:29 UTC »
My old ScubaPro Finseal failed last year and I was forced to buy a new jacket.  I decided on the ScubaPro KnightHawk.  Unlike the Finseal it tends to roll you onto your face if you inflate it very much.  It is almost impossible to swim on your back on the surface.  I also find that I have to go slightly past vertical to empty all of the air from the BC.  With the air in the back you need to get the air to top of the jacket to vent it.  I find the dump valve on the lower part of the bladder difficult to find and almost useless.  I also had trouble dumping air from the old FinSeal using the oral inflator but I could easily dump it using the shoulder dump.

I do find it to be a trimmer and warmer BC once the air is dumped.

My wife also has a backmounted BC but she got the Zeagle Zena and she is delighted with it.  She doesn't have any problems being rolled onto her face on the surface.

I find the KnightHawk to be a pain if I end up with a long surface swim in choppy water.  I am sorely temped to replace it but I am uncertain which way to go. 

Steve Moore

craigwood

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 15:22:47 UTC »
I've had a Knighthawk for over 3 years/225 dives. When overinflated on the surface, it does tend to pitch you forward. Proper inflation takes no time to learn and I find my surface position very stable and comfortable. I swim on my back all the time and have never had a problem. Underwater, the BC very slim and trim.  My previous BC was a Scubapro Glide Plus, I've never gone back to it. The Glide Plus (now Glide Pro) is a very good jacket style BC. Personally, I really prefer the back inflation of the Knighthawk. To each their own.

Good diving, Craig

indigodive

• Indigo Dive, St. Vincent.
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 15:21:40 UTC »
When choosing a jacket there are 2 main styles wing or wrap around.

I like the wing as it helps me to maintain a horizontal position in the water, most of my diving is from a boat in calm waters, so I don't have to do too much surface swimming!

If you prefer the face up position then you will want a wrap around style, that is the air chamber also encompasses your abdomen.

Now, I love Scuba Pro, the Pilot is a nice, lightweight, extremely hard wearing with nice big pockets which are closed with velcro. (I HATE zips on BCDs, they fail, jam up with sand, and when they fail its virtually impossible to replace them).

My advice, go to your local dive stores and try some different wrap around BCDs on. Buy for fit, not color, not fashion or what it looks like, the fish don't care! If weight is a consideration take a bath room scales with you, although most manufacturers are getting wise to the weight issue and there are some great travel versions, but what you get on  the swings you loose on the roundabouts as durability has been sacrificed to lower weight.

Also check the denier of the material used to construct the BCD, thicker cordura and hardy webbing will mean that if you look after your BCD it will continue to look like new and give you years of long service.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.