Author Topic: BVI - Seeking Information  (Read 4915 times)

Nesher

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
BVI - Seeking Information
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:23:58 UTC »
I'm seriously considering booking the S/Y Juliet in Jan/Feb 09 that's sailing the BVI.

Is anyone familiar with the diving there?  Actually I have heard very little about the diving there.  What should I expect for that time of year.  Marine environment, visibility, currents, water temperature....??

Any and all information will be helpful.

Thanks

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: BVI - Seeking Information
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 16:24:16 UTC »
Nesher,
I have been to the USVI and BVI several times.  Nice diving.  Nothing spectacular, but quite nice.  I would expect water temperatures in the mid to upper 70s F. at that time of the year.  Given the configuration of the islands, you should always be able to find a calm spot to dive even with potential winter storms.   One of my favorite dive sites is Carvel Rock - nice pinnacle extending up from the depths rising above the surface of the water about 30-40 feet (if memory serves me).  Somewhat exposed to the open ocean, so not always diveable, but worth a visit if you can.  And, of course, there's always the Rhone dive sites.

Don
Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

Nesher

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 17:33:37 UTC »
Don:

Thanks for the information.  That really gives me an understanding.  I guess a 5 mm would be sufficient for that time of year.

Thanks for all you help. 

Nesher

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 19:36:21 UTC »
I wear a 5 mm for "winter" tropical diving - anytime it gets below about 79 degrees F.  I admit I am a bit of a wimp, but god invented neoprene for a reason.  There is no excuse for being cold at the end of a dive!

Have fun.  It's a great place to visit.

Don
Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

RobertEE

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 20:31:36 UTC »
I, too, am seeking info on the Juliet.  Does anyone have any info on the sailboat?  A couple of emails back and forth with them looks promising but would love to get some feedback from an Undercurrent member  who has chartered them.  I have been to the BVI many times over the years, but none recently.  I can recommend Annie and Duncan Muirhead's Cuan Law but only if you are content with a couple of dives a day.

Nesher

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 23:59:16 UTC »
I've been on the Juliet once and I really enjoyed the experience.  It's not the most luxurious of vessels and it is a sail boat so you have to climb and watch your head as you move about the vessel.

However, I highly recommend the Juliet.  The crew and Capt are exceptional at what they do.  If you can deal with close quarters, you will love the Juliet, her crew and the diving. 

They are very professional and safety minded.

blacktip

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 12:38:30 UTC »
79-80 degree, clear H2o, one very tremendous wreck( the Rhone) a clean sandy beach for everyday, floating bars,nice people and all the sunshine you can deam about. The dicing is varied. Reefs, tunnels. drifts, Mini walls , tongue and groove and long. It's not very deep so most dives are about 1 hour.Think the following "the Willlie T, Soggy Dollar, Quito Rhymers, Foxy's, Bomba's Shack, Woody's and the Beach Bar. Need more?

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.