Author Topic: Philippines  (Read 7489 times)

Travelnsj

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Philippines
« on: July 08, 2008, 13:56:00 UTC »
Anybody been to Sogod bay?
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

kay

Re: Philippines
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:27:49 UTC »
Looking for info/impression of diving in Tubbataha Reefs.  In particular live-aboard.

marob

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:19:02 UTC »
Dived Tubbataha on Stella Maris Explorer last June on a season end transition trip. Excellent reef conditions in protected area. Overall boat standard OK - below that of e.g. peter hughes, but then also cheaper!

Season is very short due to remoteness of sites. Expedition Fleets run a number of boats in this area.

Also recomend Moalboal and Malapascua - thresher sharks amongst other things - both off Cebu. There are direct flights from Puerto Princessa, Palawan, to Cebu.

Travelnsj

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 17:45:52 UTC »
What about Puerto Galera? How is that diving?

I am trying to decide between PG and Sogod. I will only have 5 days to dive in the Philippines before I head to Palau for 11 days.
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

Dane Foucher

• Dane Foucher
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 13:47:51 UTC »
Just got back from Puerto Galera (7 Days) and Dumaguette (5 Days) and stayed at the the Atlantis resorts there. 

The diving in Puerto Galera was very good with a mixture of muck diving and reef diving.  The standout dive for us was Canyons where there was considerable current but plenty of places "in the bowl" to hide from it.  The ascent was interesting with considerable up currents making it an advanced dive. Good fish action and excitement.  Verde Island was also a standout with "Washing Machine" the best dive overall of our diving in Puerto Galera.

The diving in Dumaguette was also very good with a mixture of muck, coral head, and reef diving.  Apo Island is NOT TO BE MISSED.  Some of the most beautiful reefs I have seen anywhere.  One dive was a virtual Coral Reef Guide book.

Both operations are highly recommended for quality, service, and just plain friendliness.  The entire staff called us by our first names throughout our stay.  They also were great in meeting and directing us through the various airports and guiding us through all connections.  This is not a small thing as travel through Manila can be confusing.

Travelnsj

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 15:25:53 UTC »
Thanks for the info. How do you compare the critters in PG to what you see in Lembeh?

Dane Foucher

• Dane Foucher
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 03:18:45 UTC »
It's not quite what Lembeh is...... but then what is?  Our last few times to the Philippines were to a small resort somewhat close to Puerto Galera (or at least in the general area).  On the island of Luzon just northeast of Puerto Galera and southwest of Batangas is a resort called Club Ocellaris.

http://www.clubocellaris.com/main.htm

It is near the village of Anilao on Jano Bay.  The resort is bare bones, but you will see all the critters you would see in Lembeh.  Flamboyant Cuttlefish, Spiney Devilfish, Mimic Octopus, Twinspot Lionfish, Nudi's of all kinds etc. and with amazing frequency. 

Puerto Galera has some of these, but maybe a little harder to find.

h2odragon1

• My wife and I at Haigh Quarry Illinois
  • Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 15:00:12 UTC »
Puerto Galera has the most varied diving you can find. Rec.; tech. ( http://www.techdiveit.com/ ) ; wreck; drift; deep (a 330 foot dive to the Queen Of The Orient. I think thats the name) nature diving (Verde Is. Passage has more than 300 species of Nudibranchs.)
You have Sabang beach, (more nightlife), and  Little LaLaguna beach. Both are a 2 hour ride south of Manila and a 45 min boat ride from the Batangas Pier. http://www.actiondivers.com/ is a good shop to dive out of. they can also arrange accommodations.
WARNING; DIVING IN THE PHILIPPINES IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE FORM OF DIVING!!  ;D ;D ;D
Learned to dive in Boracay in the Philippines. Have dove mostly local quarries since, but I have dove in Puerto Galera, Mactan Is, and Bohol Is., all in the Philippines. Great diving if you get a chance!

kay

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 02:11:50 UTC »
Has anyone been to Davao on S. Mindanao Coast, specifically Samal Island?  Would appreciate info on quality of the diving.

deepsix2

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 23:36:45 UTC »
Have dived Sogod Bay five times over past 7 years. Best outfit there is Southern Leyte Divers in Macrophon/Padre Burgos. Used to dive with Peter's Dive Resort, but SLD is the best value I have found in The Visayas region. Owner's name is Gunter Mosch and 2IC is Klaus. These guys were top notch. Dive Limasawa Island and Napantaw Fish Sanctuary.

Marine Village in Santander, Cebu and Seaquest Divers on Bohol were great as well.

Good Luck

Travelnsj

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 23:41:00 UTC »
deepsix2.....how would you compare Sogod to PG?

deepsix2

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 05:26:02 UTC »
Have not dived Puerto Galera. Expedition Fleet does a "Best of The Visayas" route and a route that goes through Puerto Galera. May be the best value yet. Siquijor, SW of Dumuegete is supposed to have good diving too. Look up Kiwi Dive Resort. A bit out of the way, but that is why I plan going there next time.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.