Author Topic: Galapagos vs Coccos  (Read 5683 times)

jdevine

• Subscriber?: yes
Galapagos vs Coccos
« on: October 03, 2008, 03:10:21 UTC »
I may have the chance to go to one of these two great places.  Has anybody been to both?  It seems to me that the diving is equivalent (pelagics).  What other major points should I consider to help me make this decision?  If you had to choose only one which would it be and why?

pajJ0

Re: Galapagos vs Coccos
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:58:08 UTC »
Hi - I went to Cocos in May 2004 & Galapagos in June 2006, I marginally preferred Cocos as viz was generally much better than Galapagos. At times viz got really bad at Galapagos - as bad as 10-12 foot max on one site. There were however things I saw at Galapagos (eg Orcas, sea lions) that I didn't see at Cocos.
Both were quite erratic in that individual sites would be breathtaking one day & empty of pelagics & sharks the next. Cocos seemed quite dependent on current - the bigger the current the more hammerheads & pelagics there were, Galapagos was just a case of you had to be in the right spot at the right time.  Wolf Island in northern Galapagos was a bust the first day we dived it - very little other than a few dolphins - the next day it was hard to believe it was the same site - schools of 40-50 hammerheads cruising past at a time, followed by smaller schools of 5-10 Galapagos sharks, with occasional groups of eagle rays flying past. 
I would suggest that you only do Galapagos on a live-aboard that takes in Wolf & Darwin Islands, they are where the real action is. May-Sept is whaleshark season, we saw a 40 ft giant at Darwin Island on a number of occasions .  Also, don't go to either during an El Nino year - I met divers who did Galapagos during an El Nino year & basically saw nothing but rocks & empty water.
Whilst I thought Cocos was marginally better, both places gave me more big marine animal experiences than all my other dives in other parts of the world put together.
Hope this is helpful !   

jdevine

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 13:04:49 UTC »
VERY Helpful, thanks for thaking the time.

JudyG

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 22:09:40 UTC »
I've done both.  If I had to choose one, it would be the Galapagos, hands down.  Biodiversity, big animals, and wonderful topside tours all combine to make it a superior destination, in my experience.

There is more info in the thread about Galapagos land-based vs live aboard.

Cocos was special too - but you will burn almost 3 days of your vacation doing the round trip, open ocean crossing (and it can be very, very rough).  If the hammerheads are not there (they are seasonal), I think it would be a very disappointing experience, especially as I understand that the white tip shark rodeo night dive is no longer being offered due to diver safety concerns. 

The water temps were warmer in Cocos (above 80F, in July), and the visibility generally better than most dives I have done in the Galapagos.

We were lucky and we saw huge migrations of hammers on most dives in Cocos, and the shark rodeo night dives we did were extraordinary. 

But then again, we saw schooling hammers, along with huge migrations of Galapagos sharks, and the occasional flyby whale shark, all on any given dive in the northern Galapagos.

Hope this helps.

J.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.