Author Topic: Bonaire  (Read 4769 times)

craigwood

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Bonaire
« on: September 30, 2008, 23:56:13 UTC »
My wife and I will be visiting Bonaire for the 3rd time in November. We will be staying at Sand Dollar and have used Bonaire Dive & Adventure for boat dives and have enjoyed many dives at beautiful Bari Reef. This year, my rather timid and nonadventurous diver wife has agreed to try a few beginner shore dives with me. Does anyone have particularly good suggestions that would fit the bill and keep my wife interested in diving? We have the 2007 edition of Susan Porter's BSDME to use as a guide. Thanks in advance for your help, I would imagine a few of you are in a similar situation. Regards, Craig

DrDirector

Re: Bonaire
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 01:38:59 UTC »
We find the following sites to have easy entries: Oil Slick Leap (using the ladder for entry and exit, and as long as the sea isn't surging); to the left of the yellow hut just south of Port Bonaire (a nice, easy sandy beach entry; follow the sand channel to the left to get past the coral; be careful if you head north as you will be going under the channel entrance to Plaza Resort Marina - stay below 30 feet); Windsock; Bachelor's Beach and Something Special (a nice muck dive with many juveniles, entering in front of Yellow Submarine).

Susan Porter's book is excellent, and her descriptions are quite accurate.  Also check out BonaireTalk (www.BonaireTalk.com) and www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/index.htm (which provides pictures and descriptions of most named sites, albeit a bit out of date).

craigwood

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 11:11:57 UTC »
DrDirector,

Thanks so much for the reply, just the kind of information I was looking for and I appreciate the additional links. I want my wife to enjoy herself, maintain her enthusiasm for diving and build her confidence. 

carezjl

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 22:45:26 UTC »
The house reef at Habitat is very nice.  Access is very easy off Baby Dock.  I line attached to the dock runs out to the bottom of the reef at about 100 feet.  Makes it easy to navigate.  Just follow the rope back in to the dock.  I don't know if you need to get prior permission to make the dive or not as I always stay at Habitat.  You could call Jack Chalk and ask.  He is the resort manager.

Jim

craigwood

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 23:15:39 UTC »
Thanks for the reply. As I will be at Sand Dollar, I can step off the dock for access to at least an equally great local dive at Bari Reef.

greggn

• Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:27:16 UTC »
On Bonaire, shore dives don't get much easier than at "Pink Beach."  Granted much of the sand has been washed away from what was the small spit of beach but it's flat and the entry is easy.

From the shoreline it's a lengthy swim out to the dropoff but it's not uncommon to find a spotted eagle ray hunting in the shallows.

Gregg.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.