Author Topic: Sunset Waters Beach Resort Curacao  (Read 4397 times)

dbharp1

• Subscriber?: yes
Sunset Waters Beach Resort Curacao
« on: September 09, 2008, 19:42:36 UTC »
Planning a trip to Sunset Waters Beach Resort in Curacao late in Oct. 25th - Nov 1st.  Just asking for reviews of anyone who has been there. Which dives were your favorite and review on resort.  We also like to experience the island - any tours you thought were worth it?  Favorite restaurants? shops? etc.

I read an article in Undercurrent (after trip was booked!) about the dive shop that they mistakenly mixed air and nitrox in the same tanks!  Any news on this?  Have they got this problem resolved??   Thanks!

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunset Waters Beach Resort Curacao
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:45:22 UTC »
Hi DB,

Might want to start here:

Sunset Waters Curaçao
Even in the rain, it’s a blue sky experience.
http://www.awoosh.com/DocVikingo/Sunset_Waters.htm

Regards,

DocVikingo

gfelt

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 14:31:36 UTC »
Hi DB -

I spent a week there a couple years ago and had fun. First, the quibbles: lousy rinse tanks not refreshed enough.  Bring your stuff back to the room to clean it, especially camera.  Sometimes it was a cattle car, others time it was OK.  Resort is pretty far away from anything worth doing for nondiver, so rent a car and plan to explore the island if you have not already done so.

On the upside:  Very good macro and small fish life on house reef, with marked trail for night diving.  Good boats and excellent reefs within a short distance from the house - no need for extended cruising.  The rest of the island is well worth exploring.  Try to hit the Avilla Hotel on Thursday night for dinner at the Blues Club if you like music and great food - expensive, but well worth it.  Also good food in center of Willemstaatd on the water in the old stone fort area next to the inlet - there are three or four places there where you can sit right by the water with excellent sunset ambiance and 3 star food (slow service everywhere on the island including Sunset - get used to it).  BTW, it wouldn't hurt to offer a very small gratuity to someone who waits on you if want better service, but don't overdo it.  If you left a couple dollars on your table after the evening meal every night you would get great service the folowing day.

You might like the Hato Caves near the airport.  Hikers should do Mt Christoffel (start EARLY or you will get very hot on that trail - 8:00AM boots on the trail at the latest). Also, we liked the Seaquarium over by Jan Thiel beach, and there are good places to eat there too.  Also - don't miss "Boca Pistol" and other such places in the park - we also enjoyed the indian caves.

Sunset Waters is a fine home base for diving and exploring the West end of the island, and you will most likely be very glad you went there if you are not expecting an ultra luxury 5-star resort.  Bring lots of sunscreen.

Best -

gfelt

RobertEE

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 13:30:16 UTC »
DB-
We stayed at SWBR for 10 days last winter.  If you read enough boards on the place, you will see there is a common comment about being a bit tired and the food is decent, just not outstanding.  We found the place to be lovely and food satisfactory, but depending on your level of expectations, I could understand this common thread.  To me, what makes the place outstanding is the staff, headed up by the manager, Jim Hunter.  Suffice it to say, anyone there will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.  If you have any special needs, or a quibble that is a concern, they will do whatever to help out.  One guest had a medical problem while on island and Jim drove her once himself and arranged hotel transportation another time, gratis.  We did an all inclusive and this is the way to go.  The dive op (although run separately) and hotel will bundle a package.  I had no problems with the dive op- some DM's more personable but again, they were always trying.  Ditto on the comment about the rinse tanks- they say they are changed daily but some missing gear from our group turned up a couple of days later...in the bottom of the rinse tank "emptied daily".  Other board posts comment about how they set up their nitrox tanks- possible dual function with air but with two or maybe three dives daily plus any shore diving (included at N/C with dive package or $10 if diving a la carte), there were few nitrox users while we were there, thus zero chance for confusion. The dive op claims by having this dual set up, they can cater to a higher demand for air or nitrox on any given day without owning excessive tanks...  To me, it was a mute point since they had plenty of "air tanks" and enough nitrox tanks too, but I could see how this is a problem if there would be big influx of nitrox users-  that number would just have to be most of the divers at any one time demanding nitrox.  Again, a concern but a bit of a mute point... We dove  Caso Abo, Harry's Hole,Santa Cruz, Lost Anchor, Pelican's Beach, Third Generation, Watamula, Mushroom Forest, Hell's something or other, Sponge Forest, Mako 2, the house reef, and Porta Maria.  My top picks were Mushroom Forest ( a well known signature Curacao site), Watamula ( a $50 surcharge but worth it if you at all like corals), Porta Maria (a different dive profile than the usual ones found on Bonaire and Curacao- slanting wall starting at 30-50 ft down to 90).  Other than my top picks, all sites were decent, just not outstanding (Cozumel is my standard for Caribbean diving)- lots of nice corals, small critters, and small marine life.  My wife loved the house reef she could shore dive- well marked, easy entry, simple nice diving right in front of the hotel.  Some hotel guests hired another dive op to take them to a wreck right in the harbor in town- they said it was most worthwhile but they might not allow diving there much longer because of the cruise ships.  Ask if that is the case once you get there.  We would go back and I strongly suggest that area of the island based on feedback from other tourists we met.  I'd give SWBR a big thumbs up if your expectation is not a lux place.  Food service is rotated in an order off the menu format and buffet with 2 special beach side nights in the course of a week.  This repeats exactly the same way after one week.  Some form of musical entertainment every night as well. They do provide a daily shuttle service to town with a set time itinerary. Enjoy your stay!

Anne

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 15:57:46 UTC »
We stayed at Sunset a few years ago and had a very nice week.  The dive staff were great and there were only 5 divers plus staff.  If you have a nice week with them, ask them about Equus, a local home that opens just Friday and Saturday nights for Argentinian BBQ - hard to find, so we invited the dive staff and had a great evening.  Agree with the resort being a little tired, but we had no complaints.  There is a little section of the beach for nude sunbathing, but it is walled off.  Our room overlooked this part of the beach, so it was a running joke for us and the owner, whether we should pay more or demand a discount!  Second Hato caves - they were pretty cool.

Have fun,
Anne

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.